Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ididit steering column knock-offs

Member #:3249
    Yup, that pretty much says it all.

Member #:3217
    Hopefully Troy will read that article IF the CPP column he bought was a TILT column...

CPP does sell non-tilt columns which I know nothing about but which shouldn't exhibit the issues that their tilt columns do.

PS. The fact that the restoration shop was REMOVING the column from the car they were restoring should tell the story as well.
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 01-09-2021 at 06:10 AM.

Member #:516
    Thank You all, I read the article and now I have a beautiful $200 wall art for my garage!! I should have went with my gut feelings and passed on it. Oh well thanks again for the info. Have a good weekend all!!

Member #:3292
    Or, rely on answers for your initial question?

Some how I missed Rick note about CPP being junk and thought oh that's a "brand" name so it must be good!! I texted her thanks for the $200 piece of crap wall art!! She hasn't responded hmmm I wonder why?

Registered Member

Member #:571
    A note for future use - don't ever think anything from CPP is a name brand. I don't care what kind of part it is.

Hey Rick, should I throw away the new CPP master cylinder that I bought from Summit Racing? Also one other thing has anyone ever re-engineered one of these columns? I was wondering if I could replace the junk ball at the knuckle with a good one from GM, Ididit, Flaming River or some other quality unit. Also I have a friend who is a Areospace welder for NASA would it be possible to redo the welds? Just asking if anyone's done it!!

Member #:3249
    So, you've paid another $200.00 tuition payment. This is/was a learning experience. Safety should be a priority. The last thing I want to have happen is to be reported in the news as the old guy driving a classic car that fell apart on the freeway and killed 10 people.
    I doubt you'll hear back from her. They knew what they were doing in replacing that column. Shame on them. I wouldn't consider taking something like that to a swap meet, I'd junk it.

Member #:3217
    Troy,

I haven't heard anything bad about CPP's master cylinders, and I have seen several used on trifives at car shows. As with everything they DO, their parts are a CHEAP copy of other parts, made in China with zero engineering applied to the design/production, and even with an 'exact' copy of another company's design, there are also a myriad of factors that need to be considered in the materials and processes used to produce the part, so beware of any of their parts you might consider.

They also have a HUGE problem with the production/quality of their steering arms, so do not even consider purchasing one of those!

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Not only do they sell poorly manufactured and sometimes dangerous parts, their customer service really sucks. The only major part they've put on the market that's been accepted and successful is the steering box. But now I'm convinced that even that might be a time bomb waiting for a manufacturing and safety disaster. The master cylinder does not have a lot of complaints but it hasn't been without them.

Since there are other choices to most CPP parts, I choose to use those other choices.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast