Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: 97 350 vortec w a/c

Registered Member

Member #:2425

97 350 vortec w a/c

Has anyone used the system from a late 90’s suburban and if so how much of it can be used. I have a 97 350 mpfi 350 vortec that I plan to salvage as much as possible to build and install into the 57 9 passenger. Including the transmission cruise electric windows etc.

Member #:530
    barnwagon. I see that no one is throwing their 2 cents in here, so I will give it a stab.

I personally dont have experience installing an AC system from a Vortec era engine. But as long as you can get the proper brackets to line up and you can match the sizing of the compressor to the overall capacity of cool air you desire, I suppose it would work. I have only installed a Sanden based system with an aftermarket Vintage Air setup in my 9 passenger wagon. I sold the wagon about 5 years ago though.

Those 3rd row seats and their hardware are not easy to find (if you don't already have a complete setup). When I bought my wagon (15+ years ago), mine didn't have the 3rd row seat, so I had to scour the US to find all the parts to get it together. Eventually I did, but it was costly. Do you have the compete 3rd row setup in yours now? Post a pic of your wagon sometime so we can all see what you're working on and be of help. Paul.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Thanks WagonCrazy<br>
    Yes the car came complete plus boxes of additional parts<br>
    I have pulled it apart to begin the rust spot repairs and to strip it for repaint. Having a hard time trying to decide on the color.<br>
    I purchased a complete 97 suburban thus the questions of swapping over the entire motor and accessories.<br>
    I also purchased a batch of parts my neighbor custom pinstriper had traded for his 56 and decided not to go forward with the build. tubular a frames; steering column, steering box; disc brakes; dual master cylinder; sway bars; starter; etc. Do you know of anyone that is making the fuel tank for the 9 passenger?
    Last edited by 57barnwagon; 01-16-2021 at 02:39 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:2579
    To the best of my knowledge, no one is making a 9 passenger fuel tank. You'll have to repair what you have. If I were using the 97 vortec and auto trans, I'd put an intake manifold & carburetor on it or an intake and retrofit FI system on it rather than try to use the factory mess. You'll need an inline electric fuel pump. I think vintage air is capable of working with the factory GM compressor. You'll need a controller for the auto trans unless you keep the factory computer and FI and adapt it in. I'm not sure that much of the rest of the suburban will be much use to you.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    ^What Rustaddict said.

Registered Member

Thanks for the insight. I think I will try the existing MPFI set up and if it does not work well I will switch over to an aftermarket EFI unit and intake. Any take on Sniper vs edelbrock vs?

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I have seen more guys use Fitech than those around here. They say they like them because they use off the shelf GM parts for sensors.

I have no personal experience, my 55 is 2x4 and 56 is 3x2 with Carbs.
    Last edited by markm; 01-18-2021 at 08:28 AM.

Registered Member

Member #:2579
    Quote Originally Posted by 57barnwagon View Post
    Thanks for the insight. I think I will try the existing MPFI set up and if it does not work well I will switch over to an aftermarket EFI unit and intake. Any take on Sniper vs edelbrock vs?
    I have no experience with either.

Member #:530
    I'm not aware of anyone making a repop fueltank for a 9 passenger wagon. they are funky shaped, due to the spare tire well.
    If you're doing a later model EFI engine swap, you'll probably want a setup with an intank pump.
    So what I would do is remove the spare tire well altogether. (ditch it). And put an aftermarket TanksInc type tank in where the old tank use to sit.
    Then keep your AAA towing policy paid up year to year. The odds of a flat are low nowadays with todays radial tire designs and the low number of miles you'll probably put on the wagon. My 2 cents here...
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:3217
    I agree with Paul (WagonCrazy)... eliminating the spare tire well and installing a pass car tank (with internal pump) is the best (and perhaps Only??) answer for your situation. No one makes a 9-passenger fuel tank (and probably never will due to the low demand for it - small numbers!)...