Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Original GM fiftys/sixties clutch??

Member #:3217

Original GM fiftys/sixties clutch??

The following ebay ad listing states it's an original GM V8 clutch disk for 56 thru early 60's 10.5 clutches.
    s-l1600 (2).jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/56-Chevy-Co...gAAOSwYc5f85Mk

Does anyone recognize the disk friction pattern? or ??

Member #:4411
    By the color of the packaging, that one has been around long enough to have the good stuff as the clutch lining.

Member #:3217
    Mike,

if one KNOWS for sure that the package shown is the original package for the part, that is true, but in this case, it was in an ebay ad and no photograph of the PN on the package (or the part) were shown... (and you probably know one of the 'tricks' some ebay sellers use is to photograph a part next to an OLD package to imply it's an original OLD part (when it may not be).. Which was the reason for my question.

One of my FORD buddies asked me if that part was original, because he's a Cobra expert and he found out that some early Cobras actually used that GM part number... - nothing in the ad is definitive that the PN applies to that part! One has to go by the photograph of the clutch itself (and I don't have enough information on the clutches of that era to answer it for him)...
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 01-28-2021 at 02:14 PM.

Banned

Member #:2775
    Who would ever even see it or care? Although they are not suppose to be using asbestos anymore, surely modern materials are probably better anyway.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    Who would ever even see it or care? Although they are not suppose to be using asbestos anymore, surely modern materials are probably better anyway.
    Probabally right I have better clutchs now than I did in the 70s. I would have no interest in this part.