Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sources for Wiper Escutcheon Tool ??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Member #:3217

sources for Wiper Escutcheon Tool ??

Is Danchuk the only source for a tool to remove/install the windshield wiper escutcheons?? They have a tool #912 for that purpose, but I'd prefer not to order from them and pay shipping on one part IF there are local sources for the tool...? Does anyone know ?

note: I've always done that using a screwdriver but I thought it's about time I had a correct tool...

Member #:3
    ECKlERS SKU 57-137029-1ALT #: 49-02
    Chevy Windshield Wiper Escutcheon Nut Tool, 1955-1957 $19.99

Ebay
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-1956-1...-/130995397327

Or Make one your Self , I did that 30 Years ago

Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Registered Member fiftysix chevy's Avatar

Member #:1497
    Needle nose pliers work rather well! But the eBay price is not too bad. Piece of black iron pipe and and file...
    Last edited by fiftysix chevy; 01-19-2021 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Additional thoughts.

This morning I went digging through my shop and found a 10' length of 1/2 inch metal conduit (left over from when I wired a prior garage), so I cut off an 8" piece (for making two of the wiper nut tools). I verified that the sizing is nearly perfect for fitting around the wiper transmission threads and aligning with the retaining nut... and I believe the conduit metal thickness/strength IS sufficient for tightening or loosening the nut. (This is the reason I'm a packrat and SAVE everything - but being a packrat and saving everything is WHY it takes me so long to find what I KNOW I have .. somewhere!)..

Unfortunately for me after getting started on making them, I found out that my air lines (somewhere) have sprung a leak and I can't get enough air pressure/volume to the cutoff tools to speed this job up (and FILING it is very slow - but it will work).. air line troubleshooting is exactly what I needed to do today!
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 01-20-2021 at 09:22 AM.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    An old buddy of mine since passed gave me his Snap-on tool fo this.

Banned

Member #:2775
    I recently had this same problem. There was no way to do it with needle nose, because I tried. I didn't want to buy another seldom used tool, so I tried to come up with something on my own first. Found out a piece of 1/2" EMT conduit just fit, so between a die grinder, and a file I was able to carve out 2 notches on the end. It fit perfectly, worked great, and was free.
    IMG_9349.JPG

I thought of making my own... the EMT sounds like it would be really easy to file down if it's strong enough...?

Registered Member

Member #:625
    How about a deep chrome vanadium socket.

Registered Member fiftysix chevy's Avatar

Member #:1497
    I too believe the conduit would work fine and would be easy to make.

Banned

Member #:2775
    I originally was going to use a socket, but it is just plain to fat. It was hard enough to get this tool right on the first try on the EMT, plus I didn't need to buy, or destroy a socket. It has to fit very snug to be effective, and that would be a long process on a hard socket which is not round on the inside. The wiper nuts only need to be finger tight. The bottom nut is hard to reach with anything else, and I struggled trying to push the trim in just to get the outer nut started. Another thing. Do not ever drop anything into the plenum, which will never be found again. Don't ask me how I found out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast