Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Original Mark IV A/C ?

Registered Member

Member #:4419

Original Mark IV A/C ?

I have an original Mark IV A/C under dash unit I picked up years ago at a yard sale if I remember correct. Seems it's complete with a nice chrome face. Don't have much knowledge about them but am interested in maybe putting it in my 57 2 door sedan. Seems the Vintage Air Co. bought the rights to them and are reproducing them now? Thinking l would like to place it more towards the passenger side so will not interfere with the 4 speed shifter and the usual 3 gauge under dash set up I have. Using the Mr. Gasket "deep throw" shifter for the bench seat tri-fives. Thinking of using a Sanden compressor and have a have a working '57 Deluxe heater original to the car. Would like to hear from anyone who has such a set up in their tri-five along with any tips or info for such a system. Thanks to all who reply.

Registered Member

Member #:2171
    I installed an old ARA under dash unit in my 55 last summer with Sanden compressor I have a 265 W Muncie 4sp bucket seats I 'll try and get my Kids to get some pics.

Roy

Registered Member

Roy, thanks for the reply concerning the under dash A/C unit. Looking forward to seeing some installed pics of your ARA unit. Does it do a good job cooling for you? Not sure if my Mark IV unit works or not but the case and front chrome face looks good. Maybe it will be like my 57 was when I bought it. Nothing that enough time, $$$$ and beer won't overcome, LOL.
    Last edited by Dualfours; 01-26-2021 at 08:11 AM.

Registered Member

It was late last summer but 100 degrees out on a 55mile drive to Hays, KS and was comfortable I don't have any extra sound and heat barrier @ this time. I had this in my car back in the 80's but with a York style compressor. I do need to upgrade from 4 blade fan to 6 for some more air flow @ slow speeds.

Member #:3217
    It would be very interesting to many/most of us to see a photo or two of the setups described here...

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by royk View Post
    It was late last summer but 100 degrees out on a 55mile drive to Hays, KS and was comfortable I don't have any extra sound and heat barrier @ this time. I had this in my car back in the 80's but with a York style compressor. I do need to upgrade from 4 blade fan to 6 for some more air flow @ slow speeds.
    A shroud is also a huge improvement.

Member #:4597
    post some pics!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    It would be very interesting to many/most of us to see a photo or two of the setups described here...
    My yard sale Mark IV is in the parts shed right now and it's a overcast 25 degrees out side. May be a couple days before I get the ambition to dig it out for some pictures but promise will get them posted. Really hope the unit is able to be saved, really like the old school vintage look to it. I put a Vintage Air Gen IV kit in our '71 Chevelle and it works great but from my searching seems Vintage Air kit in a Tri-five is a real chore? At almost 72 years young I'm not as agile as I once was for sure, LOL.

I do have a two piece ABS fan shroud and a four blade mechanical fan. Will be changing that to a 6 blade later this year after get it home to stay. Just got the interior finished this past week and Friday moving it back to the body shop for the bumper and front/rear glass install.
    Last edited by Dualfours; 01-26-2021 at 02:08 PM.

Registered Member

I'll try and get my daughter to come over to take some pictures. I don't have a camera or smart phone It's 17 degrees here and 4-5 inches of snow on ground. so I'll try and get here to get me some pics

Dualfours I've been to Wellington a few times when my daughter was racing gokart.
    Last edited by royk; 01-26-2021 at 02:11 PM.