Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Trunk Light Install?

Registered Member

Member #:4419

Trunk Light Install?

Have not got the car back with the new interior and glass install as of yet but just sitting here thinking: Has anyone installed a trunk light for the trunk lid up, light comes on, trunk lid closed, light goes out? Thinking that was maybe the old mercury type switch which I think is the way GM used to operate them back in the day? Now days I think it is a pln switch location, not sure about that. Where would a good location be in the trunk to draw constant 12 volt power? Would prefer not to draw power from the tag light since then the park/tail lights would have to be on at same time to power the trunk light. Anyone who has done such that has some tips, pointers or pics it would be much appreciated.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I cant think of anything in that area that is hot all the time. You will probabally have to run a seperate wire from front.

Registered Member

Member #:1631
    Quote Originally Posted by Dualfours View Post
    Have not got the car back with the new interior and glass install as of yet but just sitting here thinking: Has anyone installed a trunk light for the trunk lid up, light comes on, trunk lid closed, light goes out? Thinking that was maybe the old mercury type switch which I think is the way GM used to operate them back in the day? Now days I think it is a pln switch location, not sure about that. Where would a good location be in the trunk to draw constant 12 volt power? Would prefer not to draw power from the tag light since then the park/tail lights would have to be on at same time to power the trunk light. Anyone who has done such that has some tips, pointers or pics it would be much appreciated.
    Dualfours,

Not sure if this applies to you, but on my 56 Sedan, the courtesy light wiring comes all the way back to the trunk on the driver side (within the taillight harness), then turns up to the roof at the 'C' pillar. The harness is tucked all the way up in the front left corner of the trunk so it's accessible. And remember, the courtesy light circuit utilizes a constant 12V battery (since the ground is what controls the light operation).

Just a thought...good luck!
    Cheers!

Ken in SSF
    56 One-Fifty Two-Door Sedan

Registered Member

Thanks for the replies and the info guys. Will look at wiring in the trunk and see if similar as the 56. Do you know the color of the dome light hot wire? Can probe with my test light needle and hope find a hot wire. If not, any thoughts about the best way to run a dedicated hot wire from fuse box back? Maybe tap into the cig. lighter wire?

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I believe my 55 sedan has the dome light wiring runs through drivers side door post and is a white wire. The cig lighter is not fused I would add a fuse.

Registered Member

Probably would be a good idea to run a fused wire. I have a few in-line fuse connections I can splice in, just need to get the car back home, warmer weather and figure out where to pick up power or run a dedicated line from fuse panel back. Don't know for sure if there is a constant hot plug in spade as some newer cars have. Guess will find out at some point.

Member #:516
    Just my stupidity, I once installed a light under the hood of my '55 it was out of a Cadillac. It had a internal switch that turned it on when I lifted the hood. I finally figured out that if I parked on a steep hill my battery would be dead in the morning!! It's no longer there!!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    Just my stupidity, I once installed a light under the hood of my '55 it was out of a Cadillac. It had a internal switch that turned it on when I lifted the hood. I finally figured out that if I parked on a steep hill my battery would be dead in the morning!! It's no longer there!!
    Ha, ha, how long did it take to figure out the culprit for the dead battery? I just bought a NOS GM under hood light for 57. My plans for the trunk light are on hold until spring or such. We are a chilly 12 above and light freezing drizzle. I am SOOO ready for spring.

Member #:516
    I remember going out one night to get some cigarettes out of my '55 and the street under the front of it was lit up that's how I figured it out. I was 18-19 y/o so not the smartest on the block!!!

Member #:3217
    You should have parked with the front facing DOWN the hill...