Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A CHIP OFF THE BLOCK

Registered Member

Member #:4421

A CHIP OFF THE BLOCK

i was heating, with a hand held torch, the block, at the one side drain plug for water jacket on the 350, to get the plug out. well, where that is, the block comes out a little, right at the threads. a chip of cast came off. about a1/2 inch long, maybe like a 1/4 in. deep. you think i`m in trouble with a crack like that, plenty of thread left. i thought since the piece that came off, actually circled the threads, i would`nt have a problem.

Member #:3217
    Those steel plugs can get very rusted in the block after 20-30, or 50 yrs!~ You might want to consider replacing with a brass plug, or even a 'brass petcock' is you need to drain the block very often! a thread sealer will work also to help in removing the plug later... (I use coppercoat for that also)...

Registered Member

yea, bama, that`s why they are coming out. so what do ya think of the little chip that came off the block?

Can you take a photo of it Dave? I assume the chip came out/off when you got the plug loosened? It's out now?

Registered Member

thanks, but no photo. plug out. the crack was about 3/8, 1/2 long, went from threaded hole to threaded hole, about 1/16, maybe 1/8 deep. like an upside down "u". i think i`ll be fine, hell the block is a 1/2 inch thick, and if ya look close, around the threaded hole, the block is raised about a 1/4 inch.

Banned

Member #:2775
    No photo=little help usually. It is much easier to post a photo than asking for a wild guess. A picture is always worth more than a thousand words, let alone only a few.
    1981 Z28 076.jpg
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 02-15-2021 at 05:29 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Not everyone has or even wants a smartphone.

Dave, Are you 'familiar' with this block (ie. have you owned/ran it for awhile?)... Is there any chance that it has had frozen with inadequate antifreeze? In that situation, the blocks will generally crack between the freeze plugs... Hopefully NOT your situation..!

Registered Member

yea, i know the engine, ran strong/good. thanx. i just dont know how to do this picture thing. thanx though.

Banned

Member #:2775
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Not everyone has or even wants a smartphone.
    I didn't have a smartphone with the picture I posted. You could always have someone else take a picture for you. You have a computer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast