Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Just joined, so I guess I am the new guy on the block.

Member #:4619

Just joined, so I guess I am the new guy on the block.

Here is a bit about myself. Have really followed Chevys since 1957 when I had to make a scrap book in school, I was 9 years old then. I had several pictures of tri-five Chevys in it. Really kept admiring them and when my dad let me get a car, had my eye on a green and white 4 door, 265 power glide, but it was not to be. I wound getting a 53 Merc Monterey 2 dr Hardtop but still wanted a 55 Chevy. After I graduated and was working I found a 55 Bel Air hardtop, for $125.00, with 235-6 and 3 speed overdrive that didn't work. It had 100,000 miles on it and used a significant amount of oil, well you've heard of the shade tree mechanic, I pulled under the Maple tree out front of the house over the slight ditch there and rebuilt the engine right there. Rods, mains, rings, discovered what was wrong the OD and a neighbor had a set of Fenton headers that he gave me so I had duals on it. Put glass packs on it, but had to contribute to the Des Moines, Iowa and prove that I had purchased quiet mufflers for it. I drove it from June 1966 to early 69 when I hit some Ice and a phone pole, no damage to the pole but was so much rust on the 55 it did the body no good. I did however put a Hurst Mystery Shifter in it, could leave 6" on the ground between 1st and 2nd.

I was in Air Force tech school in Sryacuse, NY. at the time, and saw a 56 Bel Air 2 dr Post at a dealership that was going out of business and was able to purchase it for $75.00. I drove it home, Put my 4bbl on it, headed out to my next tech school in Texas. Was at my brothers in NM. and the Power glide started leaking fluid big time, so swapped my Stick OD in to it and it performed great after that. Drove it until sometime in 1970 when I moved on to something "better" or at least newer, have regretted it ever since, but was going overseas again and had no place to store it by then. been looking at them ever since, not sure if I will get another, but will keep looking maybe something will turn up. I have a bit of experience working on cars so hopefully can add some info to the forum.

Dick

Member #:3217
    Welcome to TrifiveChevys, Dick... You're about the same age as I. We were probably in the USAF at the same time (March '68 thru May'72 for me).. You sound pretty grounded in the trifives, so we need to get you back into another one; maybe one will pop up on here that you can't resist? Tell us more about yourself in the meantime... and what you are driving now?

Gary

Member #:3249
    Welcome, Dick! I guess we're about the same age, too. I got discharged from the US Army 52 years ago yesterday. Enlisted March 17th, 1966. I drove a 55 Pontiac at the time. Left it with my Dad when I enlisted, and a brother totalled it while I was gone. It'll be good to get you back in a tri-five.

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    hi Dick and welcome. good to have you here and nice intro. ------> hint ; buyers market.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Member #:4619
    Gary, For one thing I worked at Redstone Arsenal from 03 to 11 when I moved here to Olathe, KS. We lived in Madison. Currently I drive a 2001 Sonoma SLS ZQ8, mostly stock "cold air intake", Bravada front bumper, 195/225 70 tires instead of the 235 X 55 16's, have a catback to put on come warmer weather.

Member #:3217
    Dick, so we have even more in common than our ages and USAF background.. I moved to Huntsville when I was discharged from the USAF to attend UAH and finish my engineering degree. Then I went to work at the Army Missile Command (McMorrow Labs) on the arsenal for 7 yrs before resigning and going to work for a small corporation (M&S Computing) which grew into a larger corporation (Intergraph Corp) where I worked for 26 yrs, both Missile/space work on gov't contracts, and then commercial development for awhile with applications both commercially and Intel. After there, I went to work for L3 Communications and moved to Texas for a couple of years before getting opportunity to move back to Huntsville on the C27 program... and some other Redstone related aircraft (mostly helicopters) work until I retired in 2012. I still live very close to madison myself...

If you ever come back for a visit, let me know..