Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: removing stock steering box on my 55 chevy belair

Registered Member

Member #:4480
    great video ill keep you all posted on this one. one again thank you all for your insight

Registered Member

hello all, my question would anything give free play in the steering aside from the box its a factory p/w steering car thanks

Banned

Member #:2775
    Yeah, pretty much everything connected to, and beyond the steering box, that you said you were going to replace. Give a detailed description of what you find, and then ask. You simply need someone to wiggle the steering wheel, while you look at everything for any unwanted movement is all. And it is just as easy to post a picture, as it is to ask a question.
    IMG_8364.jpg
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 03-05-2021 at 04:46 PM.

Member #:3217
    Lou,

If you're trying to find/correct 'free play' in the steering, if you check the Service Manual, the FIRST thing it says to do is to disconnect the pitman arm from the linkage, and then check ALL the linkages in the steering linkage. This will tell you whether the 'play' is in the linkage joints or the steering box itself. There are several joints that wear and could need replacement and those need to be corrected FIRST. I'd guess at least the idler arm is worn out....

Registered Member

I agree with all the above, I made a mark at the exterior column at firewall, and shaft it should be zero minimal movement at that point its at least 2 inches both directions, I agree disconnect pitman arm to check for free play and look as someone tries free play at the wheel, as I said the steering box adjuster is bottomed out thanks Gary ...
    Last edited by roadster601@aol.com; 03-06-2021 at 05:52 PM.

Registered Member

thanks to all, box is out an new one in a rear a job of, now to reverse it all I should be good

Registered Member

you cant impossible, the box has to come out the engine compartment thanks ...

Registered Member

hello all well its done a bear that it was, the steering box is in...tight no drift im happy thanks for the video helped a lot. thanks again....

Registered Member

hello all I do have a issue, steering is great just very little p/s could I have a pump issue or is it the way a stock p/s feels, any thoughts ty

Member #:3217
    your steering should be much easier, especially when parking or moving slowly. If it isn't, perhaps the pump isn't generating enough pressure/flow of fluid? The control valve is the most often failed part with these systems; is yours new or rebuilt?

Does anyone know of an easy way to check pressure in the system?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12