Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: removing stock steering box on my 55 chevy belair

Registered Member

Member #:4480

removing stock steering box on my 55 chevy belair

hello all, I like to know from hands on how to remove the steering box on my 55 belair with factory p/s, I read the repair manual 3 times... do I have to drop or take out steering column
    I'm replacing with the stock steering box no modification.
    so I'm asking, I'm sure someone out there has tackled this job please get back to me please I do have a lift as well thanks to you all this is my last project...

Banned

Member #:2775
    Well all I can tell you is, they made that about as difficult as possible. I never had the opportunity since I sold my parts car with it still in there, and didn't have to fight that battle. Good luck. You should find the video of how these cars went together on the assembly line. The body went on with the steering shaft there I think. The steering shaft and box are one piece. Bad.
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 02-28-2021 at 05:07 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    You must remove the steering wheel first then the shift column tube from inside car second, then pitman arm and bolts to frame if I recall.

Banned

Member #:2775
    I took a totally different approach.
    IMG_9126.jpg

Member #:3217
    Lou,

Since you have a lift, it *might* be possible to leave the column in place, ... IF... there's room forward and down to slide the steering box and shaft OUT (forward and down) maintaining the alignment between the shaft and column. I'd put the car on a lift first and examine if it appears that's possible, OR you may be able to find out by accessing the Service Manual (as it generally tells you the most simple way to remove a part for service or replacement).

Of course you'd have to remove the steering wheel, then elevate the car on the lift, remove or disconnect the pitman arms (at least - possibly leaving it connected to the steering linkages - unless they are in the way of slipping the gear forward and down to get the shaft out?).. If it's possible the last fasteners you'd want to remove would be the bolts thru the gear and frame which hold the gear in place.

If that works, then installing the rebuilt or new gearbox/shaft would be simply reversing the process.

If that isn't possible due to other parts being in the way of the gearbox/shaft coming out, then other parts will need to be removed to let the gearbox/shaft 'wiggle' it's way out...?

Let us know what you find out and what works!

Registered Member

I did a 57 conversion to a CCP500 box that was a beater driver for a friend as I described.

Member #:3217
    What Mark describes is the 'typical' way of removing the gear and I've done it that way also when I was totally disassembling a car for restoration. To life the steering box UP to get it out, requires removing the column tube first and the seat should be all the way backwards and that isn't an easy job especially with all the parts that have to be removed to get the tube out of the way. IF you are going to replace all those parts then yuo may as well.

Here is a video youtube showing how someone did it that method...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3fFf14Bo_4

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I don't think it's wise to try to leave the column in place to R&R the steering box. The steering box with shaft would have to come out in a straight shot, no moving it off angle. That isn't going to happen.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    I don't think it's wise to try to leave the column in place to R&R the steering box. The steering box with shaft would have to come out in a straight shot, no moving it off angle. That isn't going to happen.
    Thanks Rick, that is how I see it. Usless you sawsall the shaft.

Registered Member

Member #:4017
    Quote Originally Posted by roadster601@aol.com View Post
    hello all, I like to know from hands on how to remove the steering box on my 55 belair with factory p/s, I read the repair manual 3 times... do I have to drop or take out steering column
    I'm replacing with the stock steering box no modification.
    so I'm asking, I'm sure someone out there has tackled this job please get back to me please I do have a lift as well thanks to you all this is my last project...

Sounds like one for one all original replacement right? Steering box w/column shaft goes all together. Separate column tube too.

The entire box/column (wheel removed) needs to come out. A bit of manipulation to get out thru firewall and clear everything, but very doable. Easier w/pitman arm off too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast