Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Old Wiring/Connectors ?

Registered Member

Member #:4419

Old Wiring/Connectors ?

During the build of my 2 door 57 on occasion I had to buy new a wire harness or connectors. Naturally this has left a fair amount of old original wire harness sections not being used. The " hate to throw away original parts" guy in me is having conflicting thoughts about what to do with these. Any one ever actually use and or keep the wire connectors or terminal ends and found them to be useful? I will not need them to build another tri-five, etc. If someone here has an idea of what to do with them? I can pitch them but it's hard on a guy who likes to make use of original parts over reproductions. Thoughts and comments ?

Member #:3249
    When it comes to electrical stuff, I wouldn't keep anything 60 years old to use on a car I'm building. I put in an AAW harness in my 56 for that reason, I don't want problems, or a fire.

Registered Member

Member #:4419
    Probably good advice and thoughts. Just thinking not of the wire harness complete, perhaps just a pig tail section with a terminal end or the plastic male-female connector?

Member #:3217
    Replacement connectors/switches/etc are generally NOT a 1:1 representation of the original which can be important to keep originals if you are restoring an older automobile. Modern wiring (especially insulation materials) is far superior to that used back in the 50's...