Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

Registered Member

Member #:4627

What would you do?

What if you are offered a 55 Chev 210 post by a friend's wife right after he dies of the Corona Virus. All you know is that the car was being built for this millionaire that wanted something cool. You have seen his 57 convertible, an incredible restomod valued over $250k that he had built so he could sit in the bar in his house and drink sitting in a car. Seriously. So you know this should be good, right? All you know is that has been worked on for years and has a new LS6. Oh, and you know cars, they just happen to be 60's Mustangs.

You buy the car unseen because you know the guy and you were looking for an LS6 anyway to put in your Ford Galaxie Fastback (sorry) because you wanted a new AT.

The day comes where you get to see what you bought. The garage opens and there it is, a custom 55 where not one panel has not been customized and reworked to perfection. The car is in primer but sanded and ready for paint. The car sits on a custom hand made powder coated frame with coil over suspension with a Ford 9 inch IRS rear suspension. This is barely visible as the car is on Air Ride suspension that has no air and sits 2 inches from the ground. There is no interior installed but you can see the Flaming River Steering Wheel and a control panel that is wired for an incredible set of gauges and electric everything, including doors, hood, and trunk. The motor is not a LS6 but an 620ci Chev big block rated at 800 horsepower. You are handed a sheet that confirms that car is one of a kind and so far beyond your capabilities that you have no idea what to do, even though it's 85% done. It only needs paint and the interior finished (maybe wheels and tires too).

You are finally told the shop that was doing the work and they are a top shop, and they tell you the guy has over $600,000 into the car at their shop. A disagreement on paint left him pulling the car and taking it home, where you have found it.

The owner of the shop says he never wants to see the car again.

If you try to get the car completed you are talking probably $100k because you can't put a stock paint and interior in it.

Even if you find a shop, not many will want to complete some one else's vision.

Ebay?

Take it to some place like Pomona Swap?

Break it up into pieces and sell the components? That Chev motor is way too overboard for my Ford

I am absolutely serious. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Member #:3292
    Troll???

Member #:3249
    I'm calling BS...........

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Send the whole pile to junkyard.

Member #:3217
    Give the widow lady (when she calls) the name of your worst enemy!

Registered Member

Thanks for the help

Registered Member

I admit, I am a Ford guy, but I would ask the guy a few questions before assuming he lying. I just asked for help.

Registered Member

I really appreciate getting to know the 55 crowd. My brother owned 2 and I was considering keeping this car, but considering the way you treat people maybe that's a mistake. To be clear, I asked this group for help and you all treated me like crap. At a time where teenagers can't even drive a stick I would have thought you would be a little more polite to someone that supports our cars. So much for car guys helping car guys. If someone wants to contact me and help I would appreciate it, otherwise I will just withdraw from this group and head back to a more friendly group of guys.

Member #:3217
    Your story was a bit unbelievable, and you gave us NO reason to believe it... What would YOU do?

Registered Member

Well Bama Nomad, I would ask a few questions of the person first. Unbelievable? Really? Because, I bought the car last week from the widow in Waller, Texas. You could of checked with Dooley and Sons about the work done, and they even know about the owner passing from Covid. I could give you the name of the appraiser that looked at the car last month and is also aware of it's history. I could connect you with members of the Goodguys that have seen the car, as well as most of my family are members of very well known clubs with several trophy'd cars, AND were part of the history of Drag Racing in the Pacific NW. I have pictures galore that I took of the car and could have posted them if you had just asked.

Why am I wasting my time? Just a guy looking for help because I have never owned a 55 Chev before now, and instead of helping every one of you treated me like an arrogant putz. So, because of your arrogance I will cancel my membership to this forum and look elsewhere.

You are all shining examples of today's car culture.

Since I live in Texas it's possible we will meet sometime, especially as I know to look for a green and white Nomad from Alabama, and we can have a discussion on how you should talk about my late friend's widow.
    Last edited by offdwall; 03-05-2021 at 11:59 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast