Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: lowering coils with stock spindles or drop spindles using CPP disc brake conversion kit

Registered Member

Member #:2425

lowering coils with stock spindles or drop spindles using CPP disc brake conversion kit

I was told that the drop spindles would not work with the SOS 55-70 10.8" Brake kit. However as I am reading it I'm reading that the kit is compatible with the or the CPP #CP30101 1958-1970 drop spindle.

Because of the original info I picked up a set of lowering springs from CPP prior to reading this. What are the opinions on one way vs the other?

I believe using the stock spindle I would have a wider choice of wheels that would fit. Truth?

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The only reason you couldn't fit certain wheels to any of the stuff you've discussed is if you you want to use stock 14" 57 wheels.

Why would you want to use a 58-70 drop spindle on a 57? If you could modify to fit (and I'm not saying you could), probably a worse situation than trying to use a certain brake kit.

Most of the dropped spindles on the market for 55-57s use "metric" brakes for their base brake package, while stock spindles use Chevelle parts.

Registered Member

let me narrow my question a bit...
    is it better to use lowering springs or drop spindles? and why?

Member #:3217
    Drop spindles (if that's the only part you change) will lower the front of the car with no other changes to your suspension geometry or ride, whereas lowering springs will change spring rate and front suspension geometry.

Registered Member

Was allowed to return the lowering springs in exchange towards the purchase of the drop spindles and coil overs.
    Does Helwig make a front sway bar that fits the width of the CPP tubular control arms as the tabs are further apart. I have one that fits the stock arms currently.