Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: CARTER ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP

Registered Member

Member #:4421

CARTER ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP

is there a filter in that pump? flipping around here on the web, i coulds`nt find anything. as usual, thanx.

Member #:1723
    Hi Dave,
    I did like you did, flipped around the web a bit, looked at an installation guide for a Carter electric fuel pump, which talked about a strainer, which to me is not a filter, and no explicit words about a filter in the pump. I did see a number of references elsewhere about installing a filter in the fuel line.
    On Summit, a question was asked: what pre fuel pump filter should I use and how many microns? With the answer: The Carter P4070 fuel pump is compatible with the FiTech 80111 100 micron fuel filter. I am inferring that there is no filter in the pump.
    Regards, Doug

Registered Member

Member #:4421
    well, thanx for your time!!! 55 guys read this, and funny, no one knew the answer. thanx again.

Member #:3217
    Dave,

I'm unaware of any Chevy mechanical fuel pump which has an internal filter. For our Trifives, there is a 'strainer' on the pickup in the fuel tank, and then the little filter between the pump and the carb... That's it to my knowledge.

Other models/years of Chevrolets do have other (and better) fuel filters. With so many of our trifives being 'modified' with later engines, etc... I'd bet there's a huge variety in how we each 'Filter' our fuel, but I'd also bet not many PUMPS include an internal filter. If they did, and your 'filter' became clogged... would you have to resort to replacing the PUMP??

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Thread title states "electric" pump.

No one replying about whether it has a filter indicates that not many have ever used this pump even if they know what it is.

Member #:3454
    I have one on my 54 Olds and to my knowledge there is no filter in the pump. I don't see anywhere on the pump you could service or change a filter. I have an inline between the tank and the pump.
    Glenn Hargrove

USAF (66-70) Viet Nam Vet