Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Classic Edge Designs, LLC Prime Custom Cars, LLC MadMooks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My high school '56

Member #:4391

My high school '56

My wife went through some old photo albums and found some pictures of the '56 that I drove while a senior in high school and a freshmen in college. When I bought the car it was black and crocus yellow inside and out. I didn't care for the yellow. I was working in a garage at the time to pay for my college education, so I painted it myself. My mother is an excellent seamstress and offered to make new seat covers and door panels. I removed the 2 tone ones, and she took them apart and used the pieces to make the new covers and door panels. As you can see, it was a work in progress. My wife couldn't find any pics of the finished product with the bumpers installed. Sorry, but I can only get 3 of the 5 pictures to upload. I tried to get all of them 3 times, but failed. Here are the ones I was able to upload.

Member #:530
    Nice! Bet the memories started to flow when you found those pics...
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:33
    neat, thanks for sharing. still have that 56?
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Member #:3217
    Suggest doing additional POSTS to post the additional photos you have..

PS. Way back, I'd probably have felt the way you did about the crocus yellow and onyx black, but NOW I think it's a neat color to have and VERY different from everyone else..

Yes, the memories did begin to flow again. That was my old '56, but that's why we bought our present '56 last year. It helps bring back some great memories from over a half century ago. I still can't get my other 2 old pics to load, but here's a picture of our present '56 that was taken this morning.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #:3249
    Hmmmm..........when were you in high school and college? Were you in Davenport then? I drove a 55 Pontiac when I was in college in Davenport. That was in 65-66.

I attended Davenport Central and graduated in '65. I attended St. Ambrose and graduated in '69.

Member #:3249
    Interesting! I graduated from St. Mary's in Clinton 1964, then attended St Ambrose for a year 64/65............then decided to enlist in the US Army. Just missed you.

Registered Member

Member #:4421
    SUPER KOOL!

Member #:2941
    Very neat! When I was in high school, a very good friend had a crocus yellow and black '56 Chevy convertible. Fun car and the girls loved it!

My favourite '56 Chevy paint colours are the ones you painted your present '56 sport coupe, though. When we lived in the old farm house down the road from what once was Geronimo, Texas there was a family who lived over the next hill. They were from Oklahoma and I was in the same grade as their son. Summer of 1965.

I remember his older brother coming down to visit. He was on leave from the Army. Had a beautiful '56 Bel Air 2dr sedan same colour as your sport coupe. 4.11 gears and overdrive. New 327 engine. Ran great, but kept blowing OD fuses. I remember he had a dozen or so fuses in the glove box 'for next time'. Fortunately, the overdrive fuse box was on the firewall under hood and not under the dash, so it was quick and easy to pop in another fuse.

Thanks for the memories,

Harry
    'G-d Bless The U.S.A.'...... Lee Greenwood......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_5aoptI5j0

Staff Sergeant Roy Benavidez......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3nncd4sxaM&t=466s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast