Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: recommended radial tire air pressure

Registered Member

Member #:3837

recommended radial tire air pressure

I put Coker Silvertown P205/75 R14 radials on my 57 & can't find recommended tire air pressure value. Coker is no help. They have a chat line but are not manning it & the email I got said to look on the side of the tire. That of course, is the maximum pressure. I doubt the 22# value recommended in the shop manual for bias tires is correct for a radial. Where can i get good info so I don't over or under inflate these tires?

Member #:3217
    Tires ran at speed at 22-32 psi are dangerous IMO... I've always ran my tires towards but not at the maximum (35-38 PSI for the lower profile radials these days). For your 205-75 R14, I'd suggest somewhere between 32-35 whatever feels 'good' to you... ie. stable and not 'mushy'...

Note: Tires at too low a pressure flex as the tire goes around, and at speed this is a LOT of flexing. The flexing induces HEAT into the rubber which is what makes it fail!

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I am with Bama 32 to 35 is where I roll.

Member #:2442
    I run mine at 35 lbs. Same pressure as our 90 Corvette being that the tires are similar size and on the same suspension. I think most newer cars are around 35 lbs.

Member #:3217
    Some of my newer cars with very low profile tires, I run at 36-37 lbs... I also check my tire temperatures while I'm on the road at each stop for gas...

PS. If you run autocross or slalom courses, they recommend/require you to run up your tire pressures to 50 psi! that should give you a clue also. The upside for higher tire pressures is lower tire temps, longer tire life. The only down side I'm aware of is that for some the ride is too harsh (but personally, I like to 'feel' the road when I drive).

Member #:4391
    I always run my radials at 35 psi.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    A rare thread everyone has about the same thoughts. I always told my girlfriend when her 07 Supercharged Grand Prix was between 32 and 35 don't bother me.

Member #:530
    somewhere between 32 to 35 should be fine.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.