Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Classic Edge Designs, LLC Prime Custom Cars, LLC MadMooks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Did You Meet Your Wife (Or Husband, For The Ladies Here)?

Member #:2941

How Did You Meet Your Wife (Or Husband, For The Ladies Here)?

In my case, I've been married twice, so I have two meetings to relate......

1. I was WIA 8 May, '67 at Con Thien, RVN. Was released from naval hospital and mustered out of the Marine Corps 13 Oct., '67. Came home to Texas and met my first wife at a New Years Eve party a few months later. Actually, the sequence of events that lead to our meeting began the night before New Years Eve. Johnny Rivers and his band were playing at Danceland USA in Houston. He dated a girl from our neck of the woods when he came to town and I had a blind date with her sister that evening. So we all loaded up in my '57 Ford and drove over to Houston.

Never did know what started it all, but Johnny and his girlfriend had words about something after we had been there about a half hour and pretty soon half the people there including some members of the band were having a knock down drag out. My date decided to cuss me out when I told her to stay out of it. So I left there, stayed at a friend's house that evening and the following evening, we were invited to a New Year's Eve party at a place I had never been to. Cowboy New Years Eve party. So I borrowed a red Western shirt, wore my work jeans and off we went.

That's where I met my wife to be. We were married in Feb. of '68. I was 20 and she was 17, so neither of us were 'of age' and parents wouldn't sign for us. So we drove across the border at Laredo followed by a carload of buddies from the Corps. Continued about 75 miles into Mexico and were married there. I was old enough to go to Viet Nam and get blown all to hell but not old enough to get married without parents signing, vote or (legally) buy beer Stateside. Something very wrong with that.

During the course of our marriage, I took a military leave of absence from work (heavy construction) and served 4 years in the Navy. Couldn't seem to make the transition to civilian life very well. Was in my late 20s when I reenlisted. Navy needed guys who could weld and braze and fit pipe and I had 'unfinished business', I reckon.

Sadly, my first wife developed a heart condition and passed following 26 years of marriage. Our sons were grown and on their own by then. Eldest had married and made me a Grandpa. 2nd born son was serving in the Marine Corps and youngest son was in the Navy. So when Hussein invaded Kuwait, I pulled some strings with guys I knew at the Naval Reserve Center and went on active duty as a reservist (SeaBees, that time). Figured if I had sons going in harms way, I should do my part, as well. I was in my mid 40s by then.

2. Sons and I all made it home from the 1st Gulf War OK. After that, I went back to work Stateside. Had a small apartment across the street from a large synagogue in Houston with a great library where I could read and do research and there was a foot bridge across Brayes Bayou to the JCC. So it was just myself and a couple of cats to keep me company and I was good with that.

Around this time, I was blessed and met my 2nd wife. There was a political power struggle going on where I worked (Engineering Div., City of Houston) and my job function was given over to Planning Dept. because they wanted complete control over every aspect of plan review having to do with issuance of building permits. And my department (Public Works) had several divisions which had to review the engineering drawings submitted along with building plans. We did not play politics and reviewed each plan on its merit rather than who submitted it...... And that was a burr under the saddle for the highly political Planning Dept. types.

So my supervisor retired from the City and went to work for Harris County Flood Control District and I was assigned 'other duties'. First day at my new assignment, the fellow in charge pointed to a vacant desk with a computer on it. Said to unplug it, carry it over to my desk. Set it up and figure out how to use it. Now that was nearly 28 years ago and I had never seen a computer before. Nor did I really need one for what I was doing. Very frustrating. Many was the time I took the elevator down to street level and walked around the block cursing that %#$@*& thing!

Figured out pretty quick that they were trying to get me to get mad enough to drag up after nearly 16 years employment. But I was too stubborn for that and when he saw I was going to stand and fight them...... My new boss befriended me and signed me up for computer classes. My wife to be was my computer teacher. I remember the first time we met. I came to her desk where she was signing everyone in. She looked up because I was this rather large Yeti sized individual on crutches and I blocked the light from the window.

When work was over that day, I hobbled across the street on my crutches to the parking garage and it turned out that our cars were parked side by side. She was standing there laughing and I looked at our cars and started laughing, as well. She drove a nice shiny new 5-speed Mitsubishi Galant. It had a bumper sticker that read...... 'In Case Of Rapture, This Car Will Be Unmanned!'. My car sitting next to hers on the other hand...... Was a faded green '62 Dodge Lancer. And it had a bumper sticker that read 'In Case Of Rapture, Can I have Your Car?'

Yes, there was an instant attraction from the first time we laid eyes on one another. But we both felt that there was no way a devout Christian and an observant Jew would ever get along if we were to marry, so we fought it for a year, thinking, 'This, too shall pass'. But it didn't. G-d it seems, has a sense of humour. So a year later, I put on my bar mitzvah suit and tie, went over to her parent's home and formally asked her father who was a naval officer in the 2nd World War for his daughter's hand in marriage. Very formal and correct. Same as if we were both still in uniform. He just grinned and said 'Permission granted! Now let's eat. Supper's getting cold!'

To put this scene into perspective...... I was in my late 40s at the time. My bride to be was 12 years younger. Her Dad and Mom were in their early '70s. And fortunately, my wife had an uncle by marriage who was Jewish...... So they knew I wasn't going to steal the silverware. Following this, we began a year long formal engagement during which we each learned as much as we could of the other's religion. Then we married and we've been on a perpetual honeymoon ever since. That was 25 years ago. Couldn't be happier!

So that's how I met both my wives. How did you meet yours?

Harry
    'G-d Bless The U.S.A.'...... Lee Greenwood......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_5aoptI5j0

Staff Sergeant Roy Benavidez......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3nncd4sxaM&t=466s

Member #:3217
    Great story Harry! You need to put all your stories into a 'book of your life'... for your sons, grandkids, etc.. I have some friends who are doing that!

I met my wife in late '69 on the Biloxi beach. I was in the USAF stationed at Keesler (instructor in Airborne Radar and Inertial Navigation Systems repair). I was at the beach with a USAF instructor buddy during the daytime because we instructed on a late shift (C or D) at that time, as we were running our tech school around the clock - 4 shifts -graduating 48 new radar/ins techs per week during that time frame (the course was nearly a year in length).

My friend Jim saw a young lady he worked with at his part time job whom he'd been chasing, and she was with a young lady I'd been chasing a bit. Turns out they were cousins! We sat and talked with them a while, before heading back to the base and work! Later on my buddy Jim talked his coworker chasee (Charlotte) into driving to Baton Rouge to see one of their past coworkers who had begun school at LSU, but she would only go with him if her girlfriend went with her, so Jim talked me into sort of a 'blind double date' ... so we all went to Baton Rouge and saw their friend so it was a long day.. getting back to Biloxi late that night. It turns out I didn't have much in common with Charlotte's friend, but thru that long day, I became very attracted to Charlotte, and on the drive home that night, she and I were holding hands (she was in the passenger bucket seat of Jim's '65 Malibu SS and I was behind her in the back seat with her friend (linda)... I didn't tell Jim about Charlotte's and my attraction until later after I asked her out and she accepted... He was furious for quite a while as she would never go out with him except for that trip to BR...

Anyway, a few months later she and I were married in the chapel on Keesler AFB. That was in June 1970, nearly 51 yrs ago. We have two daughters now, and four grandchildren, and a great grandson almost 2 months old! Charlotte and I also have had some issues over religion as well; she was raised Catholic and myself protestant, but we made it thru so far...

Member #:3249
    Interesting, Harry! I love the bumper sticker stuff!

I, too, have been married twice. I came home from the Army in 1969. Got home and my Mom told me then that my girlfriend had married some farmer in Nebraska and was gone. She didn't want to tell me about it while I was gone. I guess that explained the lack of letters the last 5-6 months. Oh, well.

Got a job. Company financed cars, and I started to learn about lending. Met the competition. One office had a cute girl receptionist. Asked her out, and we started dating. Got married about 7 months later. Without the nasty details, we fell apart 14 years later, and divorced a year after that.

By then, I had a different job, as VP of a bank which I had started 2 years before I got divorced. There was a girl at work who was divorced. She was cute, 5'3", 105 lbs, blond. She was an AVP at the bank. Being in that job in a small suburban town, you have lots of community events that you need to show a presence at. Many times, these would be dinner meetings and such, and they would always seat us together. You see where this is going, right?

We were married after a few years. This time has gone much better. My best friend and I will be married 37 years this November. I couldn't be happier. Oh, by the way, she's a car gal!

Bill

Member #:4391
    I have been married for close to 54 years to a girl that I met in our church youth group. We dated for 4 years and were married just prior to starting my junior year in college. She likes cars as much as I do. She has been a good wife and faithful companion, and has willingly followed me through 5 states during my 30+ years in the foundry business. When I retired in 2007, we moved back to the Quad Cities (our hometown area) and have been active in car clubs since then. I've previously posted a few pics of my '56 from when were were dating.

Registered Member

Member #:4421
    i met my wife at "hauser chevrolet", in bethlehem, pa., in 1974. i was on light duty, bringing cars in for mechanics, running customers back to work. so, she walked in, mini skirt, white go-go boots. done deal!

Thanks to all for sharing. Its nice to see how many here have had variations of similar experiences. What prompted me to post on this subject is that a young lady I was very serious about in high school passed recently and my sister sent me her obit.

Had things turned out differently, we might have married. But I was already in the 120 day delay program whilst in my seniour year and would be leaving for military service after graduation.

Her Dad was not in favour of our marrying anyway. They were from an old German farming family that had lived in the Texas hill country since the 1800s and our family were newcomers to the area. I was kinda wild as a teenager and my red '55 Ford with the DeSoto hemi engine running straights probably factored into his thoughts in that regard, as well. On several occasions, I had outrun Sheriff Kinzer from the police station on the town square to the county line out on the road to Luling and word had gotten around about that.

I tried to put myself in her Dad's place years later and if I had a daughter and wanted her to marry someone who would settle down and work the family farm rather than enlisting in the military and very possibly leaving my daughter a young widow with children...... I might feel the same way.

Besides...... G-d has a plan for us all and He knows what He is doing. Whether we do or not.

Thanks again for sharing,

Harry

Registered Member

Member #:2425
    working at a service station (when there was actually service performed at the pump and in the bay) she drove in for fuel in her lime green luv bug wearing pink satin shorts and a pink and white tube top. been together for 41 years.

Ah, the good old days! Remember them well, 57barnwagon. Worked at a service station for a spell myself.

In those days, if you got out of your car and started pumping your own gas, the attendant would probably think you were stealing gas and be very suspicious. Just wasn't done.

We had our clean sheep skin chamois for cleaning windshields (eat your heart out, PETA) and a couple of red shop rags for checking the oil. We'd greet the driver as they sat behind the wheel. And as we pumped their gas....... Unless they told us not to, we cleaned every windshield and checked air pressure in all 4 tires and showed them any damaged tires or bald spots. No charge. (We always had a special on tires.)

We'd ask if they wanted us to check under the hood. If they said yes, we'd check all fluids, hoses and drive belts and the acid level in the battery. No charge.

If the oil level was low or if the oil was black, we would show them the dipstick and ask if they would like us to add a quart or change their oil and filter.

That was called an 'LOF'. Lube, oil and filter...... Included using a grease gun on the zerk fittings, squirting rubber lube on the control arm bushings, checking transmission and differential lube whilst the car was on the lift. All for $5.99 plus the cost of any 90 wt. rearend / transmission lube or auto tranny fluid if it had a slush box.

No charge to check. They only paid for the LOF which included an oil filter and 5 qts. of oil. Any additional 90 wt. lube or auto trans fluid actually used was extra.

Things got really busy when there was a gas war. I saw prices drop to 18 cents a gallon a few times (this was in the late 1960s here in Texas). Name brand high test was generally in the 40 - 45 cent range. Closer to 72 - 75 cents a gallon for Super Shell in Southern California when I drove out there looking for a job in early '69 during the mud slides.

Regarding wives...... Never thought much about it, but both my wives have been green-eyed blondes. Must be something Freudian there but if there is...... I can't figure it out.

Best regards,

Harry

Member #:3454
    Interesting timing on this guys. My wife Ginny and I celebrated our 55th wedding anniversary yesterday. My lovely wife is currently undergoing chemo so we didn't take a trip or anything like that. We just went out and had dinner at our long time favorite restaurant. She was initially bothered by the fact she had to wear a head scarf since all her hair fell out this past week. She had a double mastectomy on February 1st. She had been cancer free for 11 years when it recurred. We believe she is going to be okay but it is very difficult to watch your soulmate of 55 years have to go through that. Now for the love story and I will try and tell the shortened version.
    We both grew up in the Monroe, LA area. My future wife lived in Monroe and I lived across the Ouachita River in West Monroe. In the summer of 1960 I had just turned 14 and got my license to ride my 1958 Allstate motor scooter. My Mom was in the hospital with a recurring thyroid problem. In those days you had to be 14 to go up on any of the floors. I rode my scooter over to visit my Mom and my brother who is 3 years old was already there. My Mom's oldest sister Della came up to visit my Mom and her best friend who was also in the hospital. She came in and saw my brother and I were there and said wait a minute and I will be right back. She comes back with one of the prettiest girls I had ever seen and introduces her to my brother and I. You have probably guessed by now that girl was my future wife Ginny. At the time she was 12 years old and looked about 14-15. Unbeknown to me was that most of her family attended the Claiborne Methodist Church in West Monroe where our family attended. Due to a change in pastors Ginny and her family started attending Claiborne Church about two years later. For about three years I admired her but had little interaction. She had dated somebody else most of that time. Then in 1965 we finally connected as a result of her efforts. She said she liked by car which was a Roman Red 60 Impala convertible. We had our first date in April 1965 and almost immediately fell in love. We were married a year later when I was still 19 and she was 18. Unfortunately my Aunt Della passed away later in 1960 and never got to see the daughter of her best friend and her nephew married. I do believe she looked down with a big smile on her face on May 7th, 1966. My brother who is a retired minister told me this week he has never seen a couple more compatible than Ginny. I have made some mistakes in my live and some goofy decisions but I the most important part of my life has been perfect and that was marrying my sweetheart Ginny.
    Last edited by Rocketman; 05-08-2021 at 03:51 PM.
    Glenn Hargrove

USAF (66-70) Viet Nam Vet

Registered Member

Member #:4421
    best of luck to you and yours!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast