Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Classic Edge Designs, LLC Prime Custom Cars, LLC MadMooks
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 60 in wide mustang 9 inch

Registered Member

Member #:4421
    that`s the guy, but it`s 8 3/4 not the dana`s.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The 57-64 posi unit is similar to the one used in Mopar 8-3/4" axles, both made by Dana. Not to be confused with a Dana 44 axle. It's my understanding that the side gears from the 8-3/4" axle can be used in the Chevy posi. You'd also need aftermarket 30 spline axle shafts.

Registered Member

exactly rick.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    One of my very knowledeable local Mopar Geeks told me what model Slowpar axels fit when using 8 3/4 dide gears but I do not remember. The same style locker onlt bigger is in my 57 Olds 9.3 and Dana 60. They are tough units.

Registered Member

i did`nt think any mopar axles fit. always thought, had to make them, chevy length, just splined different.

Member #:2941
    Interesting! I'd love to have another '57 Pontiac rearend housing and Olds 9.3" 3rd member with Olds 31-spline axles. Or another 12-bolt Camaro rear. Or another 9" Ford rear for that matter. Have run all those rearends in '55 and '56 Chevys and any of them would be plenty strong for anything I plan to do with my '57 210 sedan.

It would be interesting to beef up my original '57 Chevy rearend, though. With stronger axle shafts, bearing caps and possibly a rebuilt original Dana posi unit as well, the weak link would be the pinion shaft diameter.

But then again...... An 8.5" GM 10-bolt rear with the 30-spline axle shafts would do the job, as well. I have an aversion to C-clip axle shaft retension anyway, but if the rearend came out of a Suburban or other vehicle that is wider than needed for our cars...... You could always shorten the housing tubes and weld on Ford big-bearing axle housing ends and have Moser or one of the other such companies make custom axle shafts to suit. These later model 8.5" rearends are pretty stout and have the same pinion diameter as the 12-bolt rearends. And the 30-spline versions have same axle shaft spline count and diameter as the 12-bolt rearends. So they should hold up very well for anything I might need.

There were also 'BOP' versions of the 8.2" and 8.5" GM 10-bolt rearends that use axle bearing retainer plates rather than C-clips. From around '68 to '71 or '72. Internal parts are different than the Chevy C-clip versions and there is not as wide a selection of aftermarket gear sets and parts support, but they are a bit stronger than the Chevy C-clip types. Especially the Pontiac nodular iron carrier versions used behind their higher HP engines of that period.

Best regards,

Harry
    'G-d Bless The U.S.A.'...... Lee Greenwood......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_5aoptI5j0

Staff Sergeant Roy Benavidez......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3nncd4sxaM&t=466s

Registered Member

A couple things those so called big Ford bearings were used in 41-64 OLdsmobiles and did not appear in Fords until 1953.

The 8.5 10 bolt ib my Sisters 77 Cutlass does not have c-clips and uses the same Posi as a Monte Carlo with c clips. These Cutlass rears hace 11x2 brakes which fit 10 & 12 bolt Camaro and Chevelle rears.

We had a '69 Firebird with one of the 'BOP' non-C-clip 10-bolt rearends, Mark. It wasn't a posi, but it was factory fitted with multi-leaf springs and a traction bar on the right side. There were brackets on the body and rearend for a bar on the left side as well, but we never got around to locating one and installing it. They are easy to spot because the rear cover plate has funky looking scallops on each side.

Happy Motoring,

Harry
    Last edited by enigma57; 05-13-2021 at 06:58 AM. Reason: add photo

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by enigma57 View Post

We had a '69 Firebird with one of the 'BOP' non-C-clip 10-bolt rearends, Mark. It wasn't a posi, but it was factory fitted with multi-leaf springs and a traction bar on the right side. There were brackets on the body and rearend for a bar on the left side as well, but we never got around to locating one and installing it. They are easy to spot because the rear cover plate has funky looking scallops on each side.

Happy Motoring,

Harry
    Very familat with those BOP 8.2 ten bolts and their unique covers. I have even seen the factory bars you talk about, some 400 4 ssd cars have two. My 67 Camaro 12 bolt has one bar on right side, yes I have the bar too. By 77 type O and type C 8.5s use the exact same cover.

Good info, Mark! I'll make a note of it in my reference data.

Much appreciated,

Harry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast