Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GAS TANK FILLER NECK, BACK-FLOW

Registered Member

Member #:4421

GAS TANK FILLER NECK, BACK-FLOW

put a so-called "back flo preventer" in my `57 filler neck,does not work, period.

Member #:530
    yeah, I'm having the same issue with my setup too. Hard left handers seem to leave the residual smell of fuel. I'm sure it's getting past that preventer, and ejecting out the filler neck.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

i mean i can not fill the tank, anyway, anyhow, without it splashing out. ordering a new "o" ring and yanking it out. ordering an "o" ring, just to be sure.

Member #:1723
    Hi Dave,
    When you say it doesn't work, you mean fuel still sloshes out of the fuel tank filler neck under acceleration?
    Regards, Doug

When you say it doesn't work, you mean fuel still sloshes out of the fuel tank filler neck under acceleration?
    Doug's asking a legit question here.

In my Nomad, I have no problem filling the tank without it splashing back. But when driving it, and cornering hard left with anything more than a half tank of fuel...it comes out past that backflow flap setup and leaks out the filler neck by the cap.

Its not quarts of fuel leaking. Just enough getting by to smell when it comes all the way out.

I suspect the design of this filler backflow preventer could use some improvement. Meaning, it's not "fuel tight" in its design. Its just a gravity balanced, oval shaped flap of steel inside. It's definately not resting against any kind of seal in the closed position.

Registered Member

i have no idea about acceleration, i`m not behind the vehicle, nyuk,nyuk, nyuk! but when filling it,,,,,,, all over the place. and i know it`s a legit question. and i tried different ways of filling it, for example, the noxell is`nt in to far, to hold it open. thanx.

Member #:1723
    Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    Doug's asking a legit question here.

In my Nomad, I have no problem filling the tank without it splashing back. But when driving it, and cornering hard left with anything more than a half tank of fuel...it comes out past that backflow flap setup and leaks out the filler neck by the cap.

Its not quarts of fuel leaking. Just enough getting by to smell when it comes all the way out.

I suspect the design of this filler backflow preventer could use some improvement. Meaning, it's not "fuel tight" in its design. Its just a gravity balanced, oval shaped flap of steel inside. It's definately not resting against any kind of seal in the closed position.

Hey WagonCrazy,
    Well that is a bummer, since that is exactly what the backflow flap is supposed to cure. Drat.
    Thanks, Doug

Member #:3217
    Even if there was an 'absolute' stop valve in the filler neck, when the tanks are FILLED, there would likely be fumes and a little gasoline coming thru the vent hose...

Registered Member

even when filling the tank, slow, it splashes out.

Dave, are you 100% sure you have that installed that in the correct orientation? (and not backwards?). I have no issue filling my tank at the pump with mine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast