Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GAS TANK FILLER NECK, BACK-FLOW

Registered Member

Member #:4421
    yes, you are exactly right! i don`t get it! and, my lower tube goes directly into the tank, no other hose connection like yours. your car a wagon? thanx for the pic/response.

Registered Member

NOW HOLD IT!!! hold on right here! your hose with the "2" clamps, that is at the "cap" end? looking closer at your pic!

Registered Member

i gotta crawl under this thing again! i`ll be back shortly!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,THANX AGAIN

Registered Member

ok, mine is not like your picture. my sedan only has the "hosE" piece in the downward tube, none in the veritcal section.

Member #:530
    Mine is a nomad wagon, and the filler tube(s) are not stock. There's an extra sweep-90 in there coming off the upper tube. That way I could use a sedan tank, which has the tube exiting out the side of it.
    And the short piece of rubber you see with all the hose clamps has the flapper valve slid down inside of it.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

So I will mention here that I have no issue filling it up, but when the tank is completely full, the fuel level is up in the filler tube. And even though I have that flapper valve in there, there is still a seperate vent pipe that doesn't have any type of valve in it, and hard right hand turns mean I smell fuel shortly afterwards. So I'm suspecting it's coming thru the vent hose and still spilling out at the filler cap. Need to plug up the vent tube temporarily and then take it for a drive and see if that smell continues.

Member #:1723
    FWIW, here is a shot of the stock component fuel filler setup on my 57 HT, with the Ecklers back-flow prevention flapper installed in the rubber portion:
    Fuel Tank Filler.jpg
    Regards, Doug

You flapper valve is actually "higher" that the way mine is installed. and it appears to be in a more "vertical" orientation. So I'm not sure if it would close by gravity or not. Mine is in a more horizontal position (lower-closer to the tank), so it wants to stay closed when fuel sloshes "outward", but opens right up when fuel comes "in" (from a fillup).

But I also suspect the vent hose is not preventing fuel from sloshing back on hard cornering. That's a problem I still need to solve on my nomad. Because I smell fuel after a hard right hand corner, and see fuel drying on the chrome stoplight/blinker assembly.

Registered Member

belair-o, exactly, i don`t get it. i tried it actualy 4 times now. thanx though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123