Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Domenic's 57 Nomad project

Registered Member

Member #:3799

Domenic's 57 Nomad project

Can any body tell me where they are getting this British Honduras Mahogany plywood for the cargo area's for the 55-57 Nomad wagon's ? Is it a "Ciadella thing" ?

Member #:3217
    Where did you get that term, nomad? Is that something being advertised by Ciadella currently? That's a new one to me... Originally GM used a 'marine grade' plywood, and I doubt it was 'british honduras mahogany'...

Registered Member

Mahagany plywood for 55-57 Nomad cargo areas

Bama , go to e-bay item number 254991409867 . Real nice 57 Nomad Serra Gold/Adobe beige. Ad says , New, per factory, cargo linoleum ( Pete Ciadella) and British Honduras Mahogany under Linoleum . This is not the first time I've seen someone mention this British Honduras Mahogany plywood for under the Linoleum . May be it's just people who are handy with wood and want to cut/make their own ? because I have seen this before, was wondering if it was available in a kit for the 55-57 Nomads ?

Nomad, I agree that '57 is pretty nice (2nd owner car).. it says the linoleum came from Ciadella (that's something they do sell), but I haven't seen anyone advertise 'honduras mahogany plywood' and I would have to see something concrete in specification to verify what it is. I know of no source for plywood like that, although I do love working with mahogany boards!

pS. I did a google for honduras mahogany plywood and found only a 2-ply, and also a 'mahogany veneer'... The original ply used for wagons was 5-or 6 ply marine grade plywood...

Registered Member

Bama thanks, we are making progress on the Nomad. Got some rear leaf springs from Eaton Detroit. These came to us in black so had to be stripped and painted like a cast grey color . They had two spring rates a 120 and a 138 for the nomad offered , both 5 leafs , they said that the 120 was the standard spring , and the 138 was the heavy duty option for the Nomads . They also said that all the rest of the 1957Chevrolet wagon line came standard with the 138 rate 5 leaf and had a 6 leaf 165 rate spring heavy duty option . I got the 138 with 1' extra lift spring . They also said that nobody makes a grooved leaf spring anymore .

nomad, You should post some progress photos here sometime... I've seen some of your photos and it's beautiful...

Registered Member

Posting pictures how hard could it be ?

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    nomad, You should post some progress photos here sometime... I've seen some of your photos and it's beautiful...
    Bama I would love to post some pictures of my Nomad that my friend is re-storing for me . The problem is I am not computer savvy , and it seems that it's hard to figure it out on this site. I am capable of E-mailing pictures . My friend is amazing at restoring car's and thank you for the compliment's .

Quote Originally Posted by nomad View Post
    Bama I would love to post some pictures of my Nomad that my friend is re-storing for me . The problem is I am not computer savvy , and it seems that it's hard to figure it out on this site. I am capable of E-mailing pictures . My friend is amazing at restoring car's and thank you for the compliment's .
    Domenic,

I'd be glad to post an photos you want to send to my email. In fact, here are a few you sent to me during the painting of your '57 Nomad, but I'm sure you're well beyond that step now...?

DSC08505.JPGDSC08507 - Copy.JPGDSC08514.JPGDSC08525.JPGDSC08534.JPG

Member #:1723
    Purty Nomad!
    FWIW, about Honduras Mahogany, the discussion at the following link might provide some more info on the topic:
    https://www.woodworkerssource.com/bl...ions/mahogany/
    I can't imagine where the British part of the name mentioned could come from, since I don't figure mahogany grows there. Maybe it did during the Medieval Warm Period (for those up on ancient climates).
    Regards, Doug
    Last edited by Belair-o; 06-04-2021 at 06:35 PM. Reason: can't spell worth a hoot

Britain 'colonized' British Honduras.. it is now called Belize... (there was also Spanish Honduras...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast