Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: What color is the 57 metal heater/defroster air diffuser ?

Registered Member

Member #:3799

What color is the 57 metal heater/defroster air diffuser ?

Can anyone tell me the correct color the metal heater/defroster air diffuser is ? this piece connects directly to the heater core on one end, and is shaped kind of like a horn?
    Last edited by nomad; 05-30-2021 at 09:50 AM.

Member #:3217
    If I'm imagining the correct part you're asking about, I believe it should be 'black'... semi/flat/gloss...

Registered Member

Bama, mine is black and appears to be factory I believe it has louer's in it to let the air out . My car had the black/silver interior in it , but we are changing it over to the Turquoise/Black interior. To make matter's more confusing I am going with the Black Dash , and black window garnish molding's , and Black Linoleum on the cargo area .
    Last edited by nomad; 05-30-2021 at 10:04 AM.

I do not believe 'interior color' had any impact on the color of the under-behind-dash heater or ac components. Your original 'black' should be correct regardless of color you do the interior...

Registered Member

Bama , thank's again . It's hard to repicate that factory look and mines black like i said . Knowing that the interior color dose not affect this piece is great info . When they painted things like this heater plenium from the factory i don't beleive they ever primed anything , they just shot it in black without priming the metal ?

I believe you are right, Domenic, as I've stripped a few of these parts in the past and I don't think I've ever seen any trace of a primer (unless it too was black?)..

PS. When I 'restore' a part, I like to replicate the 'look/appearance' of the factory look, but I am just as concerned on 'preservation and life' of the part, so I prime such parts as well. You might use a 'black primer' under whatever black paint you choose to use?