Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Hemmings article today: How a lift and a bathroom turned a 1-car garage into a Happy Place!

Member #:3217

Hemmings article today: How a lift and a bathroom turned a 1-car garage into a Happy Place!

Nice article today regarding how one Hemmings reader implemented his 'Happy Place' on a small California lot... The reader makes some very good suggestions to consider when building/outfitting your own garage...

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/202...ve-happy-place

Member #:3249
    That guy has a lot of good ideas.

I'm in Tucson, so some of what he has to say apply here, too.

I'll share what we have going on here.................in case someone cares.

Here at "Geezer's Garage and Cantina", we're sitting on approx. 5 acres. We have a 4 bedroom, 3 1/2 bath home, 2176 sq. ft. which keeps my wife happy.

I had a shop built that's 24 x 30. Ir's divided in to 24 x 10 and 24 x 20 areas. It is insulated, has a heat pump, and has 220 outlets in addition to 110. I've got plenty of shelving. The small room is equipped with a full size frig, a hot water heater, a utility sink, a stackable washer/dryer (something about a grease ring in the house washing machine prompted this), and an oven (for powder coating), and a parts cleaner. Also have a file cabinet for receipts and manuals, along with a book shelf. In the big room, I have metal benches 4 x 8 on each side, along with 2 roll around tool boxes, a TV with satellite, a small bench 2 x 4 at the front, a wire wheel, a press, a welder, and roll around carts. It has enough room to have a car in there with the doors open and plenty of clearance.

Because it's Tucson, I have a 4 post lift outside on a separate slab. It's equipped with an air assisted lift, so I can raise the front or rear of the car for projects like brakes, suspension, etc. It's outside, because here, if the weather gets bad, I can just wait a day for it to clear up.

I have a compressor in a little "shed" outside the shop, plumbed into the shop with outlets all around inside, and 2 outside.

Also out front of my shop is a small patio I added with a couple of cushioned outdoor chairs and a table. My wife calls it "Geezer's beer garden", where we can relax at the end of the day with a beer (or 3) and a glass of wine.

I also have a 24 x 50 garage with 2 18 x 7 overhead doors. Inside that I keep my 56 210, my 66 Chevelle, my 71 C30, and My wife's Tahoe. In the area between the over head doors I keep my golf cart (no, I don't golf, it's for yard work), my lawn tractor, my grandson's go-cart, and my driveway grader. All the yard tools are out there also.

That's all I can think of right now, but I guess you call this my "Happy Place".

Sorry, I don't know how to post pictures here. I do know how to e-mail them, if you're interested in anything.

Member #:3217
    I agree Buster!... and it seems you have a pretty well thought out 'happy place' as well!

Member #:3249
    Just wish I had thought of a bathroom!