Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why get a Covid shot?

Member #:3249

Why get a Covid shot?

So, my Oncologist strongly recommended Bonnie and I get the shots, as chemo has screwed up out immune systems. OK, I'll buy that.
    Now, my surgeon says I need another surgery, and I'm scheduled for next Friday. Good, let's get it over.
    Then, his office calls and the hospital calls, telling me I need a Covid test. I'm, like, WTF?, I'm vaccinated. It gets worse. They set up an appointment for the Covid test. They tell me where to find the tent, down the street from the hospital. They tell me just to pull up, outside the tent, which has windows, and someone will come out right away to administer the test. Oh, by the way, you must be wearing a mask, in your car, when we come out. Fine, it'll be hanging from the rear view mirror of my 56 when you come out and I'll put it on................and they wonder why people won't get the shots?

Member #:3217
    CONTROL... of all of us... of everything in our lives... is what "they" want...

Member #:2941
    Right you are, Gary! They do what they do because they want to control every aspect of other people's lives. Heard today that the Biden bunchactually admitted publically that they are working with the Big Tech oligarchs onfacebook, twitter, et al to identify and silence all who post anything that doesn't follow the 'party line'. They claim anything other than their take on things is 'misinformation'. Of course this unholy alliance between Big Brother (government) and the social media Thought Police is not only a violation of citizens' 1st Amendment right to free speech...... When Big Tech controls the content...... They cease being a public 'platform' and become 'publishers'...... And therefore not eligible for Sec. 230 protections against being sued for defaming or for violating the constitutional rights of those who post on their 'platform'. This really needs to be straightened out. And the Biden bunch needs to be enjoined from colluding with Big Tech to deprive American citizens of their constitutional rights.

Bill, wish you all the best with your operation. I had 2 cancer operations 6 weeks apart back in early 2012 (surgeon didn't get it all 1st time). Probably all the radiation I was exposed to 2nd tour of duty (Navy that time). Cancer was in odd place (ear canal). Pretty far along. Had to go deeper into cartiledge 2nd time 'round. Was fortunate to have a great surgeon. Every time anesthesiologist tried to put me under, blood oxygen level went too low and alarm sounded (I have sleep apnea). So they gave me a local anesthetic and I did my best to be still whilst the surgeon did his thing. 1st operation took 4 hours. 2nd took 5 hours. It was interesting to be awake on the operating table and hear and see all that was going on and to talk to the surgeon from time to time as he explained that specimens sent to lab were still coming back positive and he was going to keep cutting. There was a place just below and behind my ear as well. Didin't seem like anything much, so I asked the surgeon if he'd cut it off whilst he was working in that ear canal. He agreed and it turned out to be cancer as well. During 2nd operation following the skin grafts where he worked inside the ear canal...... He cut off the little thing that seemed like nothing much. Turned out to be the tip of the iceberg as he put it. Anyway, the deeper and farther he went, he more he found and eventhough the in process lab tests indicated there were still suspicious areas in the margins...... Eventually, he told me that he'd done all he could because he had removed so much that he needed to close or the wound would be too large to pull together with 2 layers of sutures. Said I would need to go to MD Anderson and find a MOHS surgeon specializing in head surgery. Nick and others kept me in their prayers and as it turned out, G-d intervened and every time I attempted to get in to see the surgeon who was recommended for this at MD Anderson...... The people there screwed things up. 4th try over several months...... I took it as a sign and did not pursue it further at that time. Won't bore you with the rest of that story just now (too long). Just take care and get better and our family will keep you in our thoughts and in our prayers that G-d will grant you a full and speedy recovery.

Had a root canal Friday afternoon. Very good endodontist and I feel sure he did a great job. He did a root canal for me in 2014 and that tooth has been fine ever since. Anesthetic wore off a few hours after I got home (its an hour and a half drive each way to his office down in Houston) and I'm still up at 5:00 AM because of the pain. Haven't had much sleep over the past several weeks because of the pain but hoping to get some rest over the weekend. Finally had a tuna sandwich and a blueberry muffin this evening whilst carefully chewing on the other side. Hadn't had anything to eat since Thursday so needed that. His nurse told me to take 1 Tylenol and 1 Ibuprophen for the pain and inflammation every 6 hours for the next couple days whilst things settle down and to eat soft food until Monday. The tylenol and ibuprophen are helping. I remember that in the First Aid kit at a job I had a few years before retiring, there were pills for pain. Package said each contained tylenol, ibuprophen and caffeine. They worked well. So I had a 20 oz. Red Bull with the tylenol and ibuprophen this evening (I never liked coffe and had to give up tea because it lessens the effectiveness of my blood pressure meds). Also quit soft drinks a while back. I do like a couple Red Bulls most days, though.

Watching 'Its A Mad, mad, Mad, Mad World' just now. Just reached the part where Mickey Rooney and Buddy Hackett buzz the tower whilst Jim Backus is out cold in the back of the plane and Sid Caeser and Edie Adams are trapped in the basement of the hardware store. Funny flick!

Best regards to you both,

Harry
    Last edited by enigma57; 07-17-2021 at 04:07 AM.
    'G-d Bless The U.S.A.'...... Lee Greenwood......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_5aoptI5j0

Staff Sergeant Roy Benavidez......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3nncd4sxaM&t=466s

Thanks, Harry. My first surgery was in Jan, 10, when they removed about 12 inches of colon. The surgeon was great. He went in to a rage when he found out they quit antibiotics after 24 hours. He predicted, correctly, I'd get an infection. Had 2 more surgeries, March and April. Then a spot showed on my left lung, and they went in and removed it in May.
    Next Friday's surgery will be outpatient, I'll go home Friday night. Much less intrusive, same surgeon. He told me this is common surgery required after long term colostomies. I'm sure I'll be ok, but not sure when I can get back to normal activities. I called and was told I'll have a check up in 2 weeks. I'm betting that's when they'll remove the stitches.
    Appreciate the thought and prayers.
    Bill

Member #:3217
    Best wishes and prayers to both of you fellas and everyone else recovering from cancer in all it's forms!

Thanks, Gary! Much appreciated!

All the best to you Bill, and hope all works out well.

Made it through the root canal. Just resting and eating soft foods the remainder of the weekend.

Here in Texas, 'soft food' means guacamole, enchiladas, tamales, rice and borracho beans (to me at least). And soft handmade corn tortillas. Yum...... Con mucho gusto...... Woo-hoo!

G-d bless,

Harry

I like your diet, Harry. I could live with that. Of course, to some, it's cultural appropriation.

Then they'll just have to get over it, Bill. Tex-Mex comida is a big part of our shared culture here in Texas. Besides...... I had ancestors on one side of our family who lived for 400 years in Spain as well. We just ended up in America by a different route.

They were the Sephardim...... The Jews who were kicked out of Spain when Ferdinand and Isabella came to power in 1492. They set an edict of expulsion that within a very short period of time, all must either convert, leave the country with what little they could carry...... Or be put to death. And this was followed by the Spanish Inquisition to find those who were foolish enough to stay and only pretend to become converts (the Marranos).

Anywho...... Our family's ancestors on that side made their way first to Portugal where they were forced out again after 5 years then made their way North, settling along the German/French border in the region of Elsass und Lothringen and by the early 1600s, eventually seeking refuge in Holland.

In case anyone thinks that it was only the Puritans and religious separatisits who were later called 'Pilgrims' who were living in exile in Holland and chartered ships for the New World to avoid religious persecution, imprisonment or worse in England...... There were a couple of Jewish families living amongst them in Leyden who came along for the ride. There were successive voyages bringing colonists to America in those years and our ancestors made the trip in 1623...... 3 years after the first 'Pilgrims' arrived. Other branches of our family arrived much later, in the early and mid-1800s.

Life's tough when half the world wants to kill you and the great majority of the other half is cheering them on. So you reinvent yourself. You 'fit in'. And 'pass' as whatever you must in order to survive. And so Rabbi Weiss became known as 'the Reverend Wh*****' and one branch of our family came to America in 1623. Now you know 'the rest of the story'.

Best regards,

Harry
    Last edited by enigma57; 07-20-2021 at 07:07 AM.

Well, that sucks! I've gone thru all the BS involved with an upcoming surgery. I've had nothing to eat since breakfast, I had a Covid test this morning, picked up the special soap I'm supposed to shower with, answered all the questions they had on a phone call today (asking all the same questions they asked in a pre-surgery e-mail), sipping on a cup of BROTH! and the phone rings at 4PM. It's the surgeon's office. The anestesiologist decided that he would rather see results of routine tests my Cardiologist has scheduled for next month, before the surgery, so they have cancelled it. So, I have to admit there's a little stress, apprehension, involved in this, I've been building myself up for this for a couple of weeks, and now...........I'll go thru all this shit again in a month or so. If that was so important, why couldn't they have decided that a week or two ago...............I think I'll have a beer.

Bill, that does indeed suck! Lots of prepping and preparing oneself physically, mentally and spiritually for surgery and then having to stand down and likely go through the same drill again in the near future.

But on the other hand...... Your anesthesiologist is taking extra care to ensure there are no 'coulda...... woulda...... shouldas' that could catch him and all involved by surprise. And that's a good thing.

Last couple of cancer operations I had lasted 4 hr. and 5 hr. respectively. Anesthesiologist could not keep blood oxygen level where it should be as I approached slipping under, so I had to do the operations fully awake under local anesthetic and be very careful not to move. Kinda interesting watching everyone in the operating room do their thing and occasionally answering a question from my surgeon or being told how we were doing. But I wouldn't wish it on anybody if they had a choice of being knocked out for the whittling.

Had a nutty thing happen 25 years ago following my back operation. Had to have my right knee scoped. Went to small orthopaedic surgical hospital for the relatively minor surgery. I had to get onto this small (for me) high gurney and quite honestly, I was concerned as to whether it was strong enough to support my weight or whether it might tip over. But it didn't and after they wheeled me into the operating room, the anesthesiologist knocked me out but apparently did not monitor me closley enough as the surgeon did his thing (takes a lot of anesthetic for me).

This part was related to me after I awoke. I don't remember any of it first hand......

About 45 minutes into the procedure, I began waking up. They told me I growled and scared the hell out of all there. Surgeon was working on my knee and anesthesiologist was standing beside him (and me) to my right between my waist and right shoulder.

Anesthesiologist was a small guy and they told me I reached over with my right hand, grabbed him by the throat and lifted him a few inches off the ground, still growling. My surgeon told me later that it was kinda like one of those scenes from a vampire movie where someone opens the coffin and a hand comes up and grabs them.

The anesthesiologist's student assistant had to jab a hypo of pain meds in my arm to put me back under and get me to put down the anesthesiologist and let go of him.

Meanwhile, everyone else who was there including my surgeon...... Were hanging onto the gurney so it wouldn't tip over. Anesthesiologist regained his composure and saw it through, but he declined when my surgeon did the same proceedure on my other knee a couple of months later. I do remember the next anesthesiologist gave me plenty of whatever it is they knock you out with and I slept through the 2nd operation like a baby.

Enjoy your beer and have a nice steak to celebrate!

Best regards,

Harry

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast