Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: looking for 57 convertible original sounding mufflers

Registered Member

Member #:4716

looking for 57 convertible original sounding mufflers

Recently purchased replacement mufflers from Ecklers. They fit correctly but are very loud for my convertible that is restored to factory original specs including the exhaust system. I've talked to Ecklers, Ecklers supplier and other exhaust manufacturers. They all agree that the sound of the mufflers is not correct for the car. Unfortunately, none have offered a solution. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Who is the supplier you've talked to? Shafers has some replacments but I have no idea on the sound. And Shafers may be the supplier of yours.

Registered Member

Shafers is the supplier to Ecklers. Found out from them that they get them from Motivair in Canada. I talked to them also and they agree that the mufflers are not right but they don't have an alternate. Also talked to Walker with no luck.
    Thanks for your response
    Regards,Kurt

Member #:3454
    Give Waldron Exhaust a call. They are good folks and shoot straight with you. Here is the website.

https://waldronexhaust.com/
    Glenn Hargrove

USAF (66-70) Viet Nam Vet

Registered Member

Thanks Rocketman. I'll check it out now

Registered Member

Great suggestion Rocketman. I talked to Waldron yesterday and it looks like they have a correct solution. They are very knowledgeable. Big Thanks!

Member #:3217
    TrifiveRide: Do you have a LONG or a short Muffler installed? I believe that originally '57's (and all trifives) came with a long muffler (my '57 sedan has always had a long muffler) but many people went to shorter mufflers (and 'glass packs') when they wanted more 'sound' throughout the years, just as almost all trifives had dual exhausts installed whether they came that way or not...

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I really thought I replied to this yesterday with Bamas comment about short and long mufflers. While I have not seen a Walker catalog in 40 years it seem to me that 23 and 29 inch long mufflers were available.

Registered Member

You are correct markm. Mufflers for convertibles were 23" body length because of the space restriction due to the X frame which provides additional rigidity for the car. Non-convertibles were 29" body length.

Member #:3454
    Quote Originally Posted by TriFiveRide View Post
    Great suggestion Rocketman. I talked to Waldron yesterday and it looks like they have a correct solution. They are very knowledgeable. Big Thanks!
    Glad I could help. They made me a dual exhaust system for my 54 Old convertible with power steering and it fit perfectly. Duals were not available in 54 and with the power steering the left pipe is a tight fit and makes some strange turns.
    Glenn Hargrove

USAF (66-70) Viet Nam Vet