Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Murphy's Law Vrs. My 57

Registered Member

Member #:4419

Murphy's Law Vrs. My 57

Getting the 57 ready for it's very first showing since the body/paint and full interior restore. Tried to do a first showing a few weeks ago and that was a no go. Just a few days before the show the 60 plus year old radiator gave it up and presented me with a leak. Pulled the radiator and took it in to our ONLY remaining some what local radiator shop, about 35 miles away. They were able to fix it but took a bit for the down time. Good time to change out the flex fan and install the Derale steel fan and a two piece shroud. All back together finally, take the 57 out for a local in town test run. Boy, did that feel good again after so long not being able to drive it. The 283, dualfours, four speed, posi, headers, turns this ol man into a kid again.

Wife was with me and while we were out we stopped at the local ice cream shop and enjoyed some of the offerings. Brought the 57 back home and drove it back into the shop where my restored 71 Chevy 4x4 also resides. Pulled in behind the truck and shut off the 57. Got out and decided I was too close to the truck for my liking. Got back in, started the 57 and slipped it into reverse, ....or tried to. Nope, NADA, not happening, no reverse. WTH, just did get done driving and using reverse several times with no problems at all. Rolled the 57 back by holding door open and pushing with left foot while in neutral. Got out the floor jack and jack stands. Found the problem right away quickly. The clip holding the shift rod to the trans reverse gear was GONE. Looked thru the garage, shop, tool box, no more spring type linkage clips on hand. As a temporary fix, installed a cotter key and curled the legs of the key around. Reverse gear works again. Now to head out to the local parts house tomorrow and see if they have such on hand.

Always something I guess, but this was an easy fix thankfully.

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    at least it happened in the garage. ----->glass is half filled.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Member #:3217
    One thing is for sure... Cars can 'look great' sitting in the garage, but once we begin to drive them regularly, they will begin spitting out anything not up to par! Which is the reason we begin taking our first trips and staying pretty close to home and during 'daylight'.. Consider these small problems near to home as a 'blessing'...

Member #:3249
    Ironing out the bugs seems to be the norm for anything I put together. I, too, stay close to home initially to see what I've got. It does seem to get easier, the issues seem to be smaller, and stuff seems to do just fine any more. You're almost there! Keep driving it.

Registered Member

Member #:4419
    Thanks to all for the replies and the encouragement. Yep, plan to do just that, keep driving it and working the bugs as they appear. Car show is in the plan this weekend about 14 miles from home. Next small town south of us is having a fund raiser for the school Seniors who graduate next year. That includes my grandson. His Dad, my middle son, will drive my '71 Chevelle and ol Dad is driving his first "big boy's toy", LOL. Temps will be in the mid 90's, no A/C in the 57 yet, Chevelle has Vintage Air installed. Temps today are headed to the triple digits, 101-102 area. Ready for fall, NOT winter, but fall will do.

Member #:3217
    We're ready for fall too, here in north Alabama... the SUN seems especially hot (even beyond the temps) when it hits you mid day!~

Member #:3454
    I think when the day comes for me I am just going to drive my on jack stands for a while. Then getting home will not be a problem. Of course that would be no fun so I won't do it.
    Glenn Hargrove

USAF (66-70) Viet Nam Vet