Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Car Show

Registered Member

Member #:4419

First Car Show

Finally, after several false starts have the 57 ready for it's first showing. "Almost' happened three weeks or so ago but two days before the show the radiator presented me with a leak. You would think GM would provide a better radiator with their cars, it's "only" 65 years old. Dated K-56 (Nov-56?)
    Pulled the radiator and took it to the "only" remaining radiator shop that I know of within a 50 mile radius from me. (Thanks EPA-not) While they had the radiator it was the perfect time to swap out the aluminum flex fan for a Derale 6 blade steel fan and add an ABS two piece shroud. Also changed the bolts for studs, sure makes it easier to install a fan. Ain't much room between fan and radiator, maybe 3/4'' ?

Bored and cammed '64 Chevelle 283, original '57 GM 2x4s intake, Melling "Super Street" hyd. cam, home done port and polish match heads to the Appliance headers, M-21 Muncie w/Mr. Gasket bench seat shifter, Thrush mufflers thru 2'' full length exhaust, 3:55 posi, Mr. Gasket traction bars, riding on 7'' rallies, disc brakes front, original drum rear.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Member #:4421
    nice ride, man! love those slapper bars. m/t valve covers!!!!! are using a PCV? i see the oil filler tube. downdraft tube?

Member #:3217
    Congratulations Dualfours! and Good luck going to, return from, and IN the show... Your car looks great and I suspect ALL of us love the old school look...

PS. Is that your building (quonset type?)... For years I thought of buying a WWII quonset and setting it up for a shop, but never lived in a location suitable for it..

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    cool 57, looks like a fun ride.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I like the look, just rolled in from 1970.

Member #:1723
    Congratulations! I thoroughly enjoyed reading thru the components you used, and too, love the look! Nice job!

Registered Member

Member #:4419
    Dave, can't see it but am running a PCV, on the passenger side at the rear near the firewall. Runs off the back of the front carb at the base plate, rubber line snakes around to the fitting. The traction bars are on the list to be pulled, bead blasted, primed and a re-paint back to the bright yellow like they were when first installed. The M/T covers just screams 60s-70s to me as they were THE covers back in the day. Built it like a high school kid's ride from the time.

Bama, yep, that quonset style metal building is my retirement playhouse. 35 x 50 which I "thought" was pretty good sized until I started stuffing it with my 57, 71 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4, my youngest son's restored '86 Monte Carlo LS. tool boxes, engine hoist, ZTR mower, push mower, concrete mixer, work bench, pressure washer.......this list goes on. Need a building stretcher, LOL. He and his wife are in Tuscaloosa where she teaches at the university while he works from home due to the Covid.

Belair-o, growing up in the 60s and graduated in 67 seen a LOT of the street prowlers of the time and just really love the old school look. Makes this ol man a kid when get behind the wheel. Have to resist the urge to punch it, would not look dignified for ol Dad to be stopped for exhibition of speed, loud exhaust, and what ever else a LEO wanted to tag on, LOL.
    Last edited by Dualfours; 08-26-2021 at 12:45 PM.

Member #:3217
    I always loved 'exhibition of speed'.... but I must be getting old as wifey says I drive like an old man now!

Registered Member

Member #:4421
    thanx for the response. what did you do for the baffle in the valve cover?

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    I always loved 'exhibition of speed'.... but I must be getting old as wifey says I drive like an old man now!
    I had a few of those from our local clowns back in the day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast