Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New '57 Bel Air Owner!

Registered Member

Member #:4740

New '57 Bel Air Owner!

Brought it home from my Grandfather's garage, where it sat not started or driven for nearly 30 years. Rust free and complete. Mechanical, interior and trim work await! Looking forward to hearing great tips and advice from this forum. Hello all!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #:3217
    Hi Ventura, and welcome to Trifive Chevys!

'Rustfree is a fantastic way to start!' ...

Your first 'task' is to assess the car, and what it needs to be functional and safe, and after you have that list decide if you're going to 'maintain originality', OR begin doing upgrades when you perform the required service! Let us know and I'm sure you'll get many suggestions..

Registered Member

Thank you! The first plan is to get the single-well manual drum brakes upgraded to double-well powered discs. I see lots of kits, but are there some that are clearly better than others?

While I'm at it, it looks like I could get 2" lowered spindles. Will 2" look like much? How low can you take these without modifying the wheel wells?

Easy to lower back if I lower front? Kits you recommend?

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Car in picture has a good stance now. Not seeing a need to lower it.

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    hi Ventura and welcome. good to have you here. neat to have gramps good looking 57. family heirloom in the making. my sig says what i would do.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by ventura67 View Post
    Thank you! The first plan is to get the single-well manual drum brakes upgraded to double-well powered discs. I see lots of kits, but are there some that are clearly better than others?

While I'm at it, it looks like I could get 2" lowered spindles. Will 2" look like much? How low can you take these without modifying the wheel wells?

Easy to lower back if I lower front? Kits you recommend?
    For a dual MC, I would suggest identifying a later Chevrolet vehicle ('67 or later?) which came with similar brakes (drum, disk, or combo) that you are running or plan to run, and get a GM MC for that car to install on your '57. You can find NEW Delco parts at many parts store, or a quality rebuilt unit, either of which are inexpensive and probably higher quality than MOST aftermarket producers.

As Mark stated, the stance looks nice as is... Why are you wanting to lower it? IF you decide to lower it, the 2" lowering spindles should not cause a problem with stock tires/wheels or anything close to stock. You could also cut a loop off the stock springs which will also lower the car ~ 1.5" or so, AND will also stiffen up the front spring rate proportionately.

Registered Member

Do you think it was already lowered a bit? Or maybe suspension just saggy? I want to give just the slightest hot rod touch, but maybe one cannot do that with the 4 doors ha!

On that tip, thinking body colored steel wheels and trim rings with spider cap or something. That might be a little too plain jane for Bel Air trim?
    Last edited by ventura67; 08-30-2021 at 03:48 PM.

Member #:3249
    You can go ahead and hot rod a 4 door............it's your car, it's cool..............I'd study up before just plunging in. you've got a great ride there, take your time, plan it out.

Registered Member

Thank you for the advice so far!

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I think the Cragars and TAs look great now. Much better than same car with stage coach wheels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast