Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Classic Edge Designs, LLC Prime Custom Cars, LLC MadMooks
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 30 Day '55 Chevy Build?

Member #:3718

30 Day '55 Chevy Build?

Not sure if anyone else is watching this but there's a guy with a you-tube channel that is on a quest to build a '55 Chevy from the ground up in 30 days. He's currently on Day 10 and making pretty good progress. Now, mind you he already had some work done on the car before he started this deal but that's okay with me as everyone probably be at different levels at the beginning.

There are some work items that I don't exactly agree with but it's not my car and overall those things probably aren't a real show stopper anyway. He has his methods and most of the stuff looks rather decent.

Hafrods Builds
    Remember the "13"

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I have had words with him on the other site, not a fan. Always crying to the moderators. Not a fan of his ways.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I have had words with him on the other site, not a fan. Always crying to the moderators. Not a fan of his ways.
    Hmm, so what "ways" do you disagree with? And I'm not defending him. He was putting an engine together under an awning with the wind blowing and a sand dump over near his fence from sand blasting. I about had a heart attack on that one but again his car. I also got a little issue with the worry about tiny paint details or some other minutia, then suddenly not having quite the right piece for a repair and going "oh well, it's not important".
    Remember the "13"

Registered Member

Waste tome detailing junk like a 7.5 S10 rear end for his HT and uses Skip White $39 distributors.

Registered Member

Member #:4438

55 chevy30 day build

[QUOTE=chasracer;62121]Hmm, so what "ways" do you disagree with? And I'm not defending him. He was putting an engine together under an awning with the wind blowing and a sand dump over near his fence from sand blasting. I about had a heart attack on that one but again his car. I also got a little issue with the worry about tiny paint details or some other minutia, then suddenly not having quite the right piece for a repair and going "oh well, it's not important".[/QUO

the man works with what he has. not everyone has a shop ,i had to work under a carport for years in cold weather and bugs snakes and kids hope you enjoy putting him down keyboard warrior

Member #:3217
    ... Anyway... let's talk about things WE are doing to OUR cars HERE on this site...

Member #:2941
    Chas, I don't know the man and have no dog in the hunt. Do you have a link? I would like to see what he is doing. Sounds interesting.

I agree with Family4door. My first engine build at 15 years old was under a pole barn (roof but no sidewalls) out in an alfalfa field. No electric and no power tools. Hand tools and elbow grease only. You do the best you can with what you've got. My DeSoto hemi engine turned out great, BTW.

On balance, I hate deadlines, being rushed or cutting corners. So the self-imposed time limit aspect is of no importance to me.

And I agree with Gary, as well. Whilst it is interesting to follow the progress of someone else's build on another site...... Our primary focus here should remain our own builds. No need to import the unnecessary drama and trauma at the other trifive site nor give them free advertising here. Their paying vendors and sponsors who insist on the PC / 'cancel culture' nonsense, draconian posting rules and over-moderation that was in a great many cases the reason we came here from there...... Keep the company that owns that site afloat quite well financially. Let what happens in Vegas stay in Vegas.

Anyway...... If you have a link, please post it here. We can all learn from others. Both what works...... And what doesn't.

Would also enjoy hearing about y'alls projects and will share my experiences when I dig into the '57. As you may know, we are working at getting the 'old house' my wife grew up in livable so we can move there in the next year. Older neighbourhood off the beaten track a bit. No public transportation and no apartments nearby, so it's quieter and less crime than here in the 'hood. More gunshots a couple of blocks away last night, but no police choppers circling overhead like last week. In the quiet of the night, you can pick out the old .45 calibre 7-shot 1911s. They sound quite different than the 17-shot 9mm Glocks.

Lots to do on that and I need to do some carefull measuring to see if the Chevy will even fit inside the old garage. Pretty small and not much room on the lot to make the garage larger. If the '57 won't fit in there with the garage door closed, then we have even more work to do.

Happy Motoring,

Harry
    'G-d Bless The U.S.A.'...... Lee Greenwood......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_5aoptI5j0

Staff Sergeant Roy Benavidez......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3nncd4sxaM&t=466s

[QUOTE=Family4door;62168]
    Quote Originally Posted by chasracer View Post
    Hmm, so what "ways" do you disagree with? And I'm not defending him. He was putting an engine together under an awning with the wind blowing and a sand dump over near his fence from sand blasting. I about had a heart attack on that one but again his car. I also got a little issue with the worry about tiny paint details or some other minutia, then suddenly not having quite the right piece for a repair and going "oh well, it's not important".[/QUO

the man works with what he has. not everyone has a shop ,i had to work under a carport for years in cold weather and bugs snakes and kids hope you enjoy putting him down keyboard warrior

Slow down there, I am not putting him down.

As I said, it's his car and he can do with it anything he likes.

He does have a garage and I have noticed that the last work he performed on the engine was inside of the garage - to my way of thinking that is far better than being out in the wind dropping bearings, engine lube and crankshaft in place. But - each to his own.

I also dropped him a note on his video about it so I'm not sniping behind his back on it.

The other part is yes, he seems to worry more about a "look" than a good part but again, everyone has their own ideas of what constitutes a "good part".
    Remember the "13"

Quote Originally Posted by enigma57 View Post
    Chas, I don't know the man and have no dog in the hunt. Do you have a link? I would like to see what he is doing. Sounds interesting.

I agree with Family4door. My first engine build at 15 years old was under a pole barn (roof but no sidewalls) out in an alfalfa field. No electric and no power tools. Hand tools and elbow grease only. You do the best you can with what you've got. My DeSoto hemi engine turned out great, BTW.

On balance, I hate deadlines, being rushed or cutting corners. So the self-imposed time limit aspect is of no importance to me.

And I agree with Gary, as well. Whilst it is interesting to follow the progress of someone else's build on another site...... Our primary focus here should remain our own builds. No need to import the unnecessary drama and trauma at the other trifive site nor give them free advertising here. Their paying vendors and sponsors who insist on the PC / 'cancel culture' nonsense, draconian posting rules and over-moderation that was in a great many cases the reason we came here from there...... Keep the company that owns that site afloat quite well financially. Let what happens in Vegas stay in Vegas.

Anyway...... If you have a link, please post it here. We can all learn from others. Both what works...... And what doesn't.

Would also enjoy hearing about y'alls projects and will share my experiences when I dig into the '57. As you may know, we are working at getting the 'old house' my wife grew up in livable so we can move there in the next year. Older neighbourhood off the beaten track a bit. No public transportation and no apartments nearby, so it's quieter and less crime than here in the 'hood. More gunshots a couple of blocks away last night, but no police choppers circling overhead like last week. In the quiet of the night, you can pick out the old .45 calibre 7-shot 1911s. They sound quite different than the 17-shot 9mm Glocks.

Lots to do on that and I need to do some carefull measuring to see if the Chevy will even fit inside the old garage. Pretty small and not much room on the lot to make the garage larger. If the '57 won't fit in there with the garage door closed, then we have even more work to do.

Happy Motoring,

Harry

I rebuilt or overhauled my first engine on an open concrete patio space. I was also 12 years old at the time and learned that it's quite a bit better to keep things as clean as possible when putting an engine back together. I built my second one in a second story apartment spare bedroom. I think that engine build came out a lot better. If I was forced to do it on the side of a roadway I would do so - but I would also avoid it if possible. I would doubt seriously if you would return to that pole barn in the Alfalfa field anymore than I would go back to that open patio. We normally learn and grow from our experiences.

I'm not sure watching what someone does on a you tube channel distracts from this forum - but the admin can certainly close and/or remove the thread.

Registered Member

[QUOTE=Family4door;62168]
    Quote Originally Posted by chasracer View Post
    Hmm, so what "ways" do you disagree with? And I'm not defending him. He was putting an engine together under an awning with the wind blowing and a sand dump over near his fence from sand blasting. I about had a heart attack on that one but again his car. I also got a little issue with the worry about tiny paint details or some other minutia, then suddenly not having quite the right piece for a repair and going "oh well, it's not important".[/QUO

If you had seen the nasty PMs this guy sends or comments he makes about cars he has never seen or people ability he don't know you might feel l different

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast