Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Sue's 59 Corvette project....

Member #:3217
    With the return of the car to it's shop in Huntsville, Richard spent a bit of time fitting the jewelry (headlight and taillight bezels), bumpers and bumper brackets, windshield frame, grill etc to the body...

IMG_1510 (Copy).JPG
    IMG_1509 (Copy).JPG
    IMG_1508 (Copy).JPG
    IMG_1507 (Copy).JPG
    IMG_1506 (Copy).JPG

Member #:3454
    Wow. That is going to be quite a car. That is not a low budget build for sure. Thanks for sharing.
    Glenn Hargrove

USAF (66-70) Viet Nam Vet

No, not a low budget build but neither was their '56 HT!

Here are photos of the new LT1 engine and 6spd transmission (Connect n Cruise package) that they ordered.
    IMG_0490.jpg
    IMG_0493.jpg

And lest I gave you the impression that Richard wtih a little help from me did all that earlier work, here's a photo of Sue getting involved in disassembly (removing steering column)... and she got a little dirty too, yet could still smile at the camera!

PS. She chose the engine and 6-speed Tremec trans as well, and she drives one daily, as she loves to row thru the gears manually!~

IMG_0491.jpg
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 09-12-2021 at 08:54 PM.

Banned

Member #:4739
    The smile doesen't even look fake. That's a good sign that your help isn't going to simply walk away.
    Are you going to chuck the plastic covering on that engine (some claim that such trim pieces trap heat) or does the plumbing underneath look almost as ugly as that on my former Audi turbo-Diesel of which I ended up chucking the plastic?:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned

Member #:2941
    Thanks for posting the Corvette build here, Gary! This is top drawer all the way. The new chassis will make a world of difference in ride, handling and braking. And the subtle changes recessing the Corvette emblems to be flush with the body lines will not detract from the character of the car appearance-wise.

I'm lovin' it!

Harry

P.S. >>> Does the original chassis have the 3" wide brake shoes and matching drums? Or were those used in C-2 'Vettes in the years just priour to the use of disc brakes?

Member #:3249
    Loving this build. Keep us posted on updates.

This project got put on *pause* for a year or so, while Richard was renovating a building he purchased, moving parts/cars from a property in TN that he had sold, etc, so hopefully we are nearly back to working religiously on this project (I know Sue is in favor of this!).. Richard and Sue left his past weekend and won't be back for a few weeks, so what I'm doing right now is 'catching up' on our past work on this car.

The Engine and Transmission installation waited awhile due to several shipments of the Bell-Housing which came in damaged, but finally they got a good one and the drivetrain was installed on the chassis.

Here are a few photos of the process of installing the flywheel, dual-mass pressure plate/clutch, etc. There was a fairly complex shimming arrangement we went thru before mounting it all up.

DSC00385 (Copy).JPG
    DSC00396 (Copy).JPG
    DSC00387 (Copy).JPG

It will use a hydraulic clutch just as their '56 HT did...

DSC00386 (Copy).JPG
    DSC00397 (Copy).JPG
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 09-13-2021 at 06:33 AM.

Engine and Trans installed on chassis

Once a good bellhousing was received (Lakewood/Quicktime Safety Bellhousing), and the Flywheel and Pressure plate was prepared, the engine was set into the chassis and the transmission and clutch system was installed. The transmission is a Tremec Super Magnum 6-speed.

DSC00381 (Copy).JPG
    DSC00375 (Copy).JPG
    DSC00378 (Copy).JPG

When two old men are doing such jobs, we rely on any help we can get when lifting heavy objects...

DSC00380 (Copy).JPG
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 09-13-2021 at 06:50 AM.

Making sure the Body clears the drivetrain.. :)

Once the Engine/Trans assembly was on the chassis we rolled it back under the body and lowered the body back onto it...

DSC00374 (Copy).JPG

DSC00370 (Copy).JPG

By the time this last photo was taken, Richard had already designed/machined some special bracketry for firewall mountings.

busy CNC (Copy).JPG
    Dick at lathe (Copy).JPG

And we installed the Holley mid-mount front runner accessory kit. I think both Richard and myself can 'bless' the Holley Midmount accessory kit for anyone considering such.
    Holley mid-mount for LT1 (Copy).JPG
    Holley MM WP mockup (Copy).JPG

This kit keeps all the accessories very close to the front of the block by providing a completely different water pump housing with all the mounts included for the accessories. The water pump internals are separately replaceable thru holley. The gen V LT1 kit also included the 'Super Damper' as shown.
    super damper (Copy).JPG

The continuation of this thread will likely have to wait a few weeks until Richard returns from their trip, as he also designed custom mounts for the firewall mountings for the Vintage Air evaporator and lines, the CPU, Oil/vapor separator, master cylinder and hydrovac units which I had little to nothing to do with and thus have no photos of those parts... (Maybe he can post some photos and explanations for those items from his phone/laptop while he's away?)..
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 09-13-2021 at 07:42 AM.

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    beautiful build.---------> what you do after lunch?
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast