Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Sue's 59 Corvette project....

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    I agree that a single coil doesn't generate much heat, BUT... take 8 of them and put them inside a closed up metal container, and put that container on top of a heat generating engine and I'd be afraid the heat would build up INSIDE the valve (coil) cover with not fresh air to take it away. It would be similar to installing eight 30W bulbs inside those covers on an operating engine... IMO ... it needs a fresh air source to help take the hot air away and prevent heat buildup inside those covers.
    If that was going to be a problem, I doubt GM would have attached the coils to a hot valve cover. The valve cover is also a heat sink, even if it's a hot one around 220-250 degrees. You don't need air to transfer heat, there is also conduction and radiation heat transfer. If the coil temperature is greater than the valve cover temperature, you will get heat flow to the valve cover. Spreading the heat transfer across 8 coils also helps. Also, what's going to fail? The coil would have to get hot enough to melt or somehow degrade the insulation between the windings. I'll bet a coil can withstand a few hundred degrees before it fails. I wouldn't worry about it.

PS. I don't really believe the 30 watts needed per coil will be expended as heat from the coil, since the majority of the energy is used for the injector to 'squirt fuel', but there will be 'some' residual heat from each pulse of the coil.. I haven't been able to ascertain an precise number for that as yet, but still believe without an 'air source' heat buildup can become a problem.
    The coil doesn't fire the injectors, but you knew that. Also, I doubt the power dissipated is actually as high as 30W per coil. I just used the fuse size as kind of an upper limit for the sake of discussion. It's probably quite a bit less in practice.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:3682

More instrument cluster bezel mods

Took some time and worked on the bezel, making the changes necessary to mount the switches. Holes were not punched in the custom bezel for the various switches, including the lights, wipers, ignition and lighter. The cigarette lighter is being replaced with a USB port. The others will mount the factory switches.

IMG_0919.jpeg

IMG_0940.jpeg

The factory bezel is 1/8" thick aluminum, the custom bezel is roughly 1/4" thick fiberglass. The outside mounting surface is a smooth gel coated fiberglass, but the inside is unfinished and uneven. Work started on the lights and wipers switches side. The bezel was setup on the mill and the inside was milled close to 1/8". Based on measurements from the factory bezel, holes were drilled locating the two switches, then a 3/4” hole saw was used to make the holes. It'd be nice if this was all it took to mount the switches, but it wasn't (what a surprise). The factory bezel has a recessed shoulder with a locating groove to align the escutcheon. A single piece of aluminum was milled to provide this for both switches. This will be epoxied to the bezel. Two locating holes were drilled in the fiberglass to temporilary locate block and #10 holes drilled and tapped in the block to provide the clamping force for the epoxy. The holes will be glassed up later.

IMG_0936.jpeg

IMG_0939.jpeg

IMG_0938.jpeg

Next was to locate and punch the holes for the ignition switch and the dual USB outlet. The ignition switch pad needed to be milled to roughly 1/8" so the escutcheon and nut will fit. In addition, two locating cuts needed to be made to the 1" hole to locate the ignition switched escutcheon. The USB port is threaded on the backside, the full length, so the pad just needed to be fairly flat (again, it couldn't be just this easy). The hole for the USB was cut at 1", and had to be opened to 1 1/4" on top and bottom. The sides remained a 1" to hold the USB port from rotating. (note: picture below doesn't show this mod made yet).

IMG_0941.jpeg

IMG_0944.jpeg

At this point, the mods are made, just need to epoxy the aluminum block on the bezel. This finishes the second set of mods, The last will be done after we receive the trim for the speedo/tach.

IMG_0942.jpeg

IMG_0946.jpeg
    Last edited by TrifiveRichard; 12-18-2022 at 06:45 PM.

Member #:1723
    Hi Richard,
    Looking good! Was wondering about the screw heads (?) between the Lights and Wiper switches?
    Inst Cluster.jpg
    Regards, Doug

Registered Member

Hey Doug, Those are temporary. I will epoxy the aluminum block to the back of the bezel and the bolts will hold everything in place until the epoxy sets. Then, I’ll remove the bolts and glass the holes, and they will be gone!

That new cluster looks great Richard. Nice work. Can't wait to see it all painted and assembled.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Thanks Laszlo, we’re getting close to paint. The body needs to be water sanded, then paint. The doors, hood, trunk and deck lid need a final coat of hi build, then it’s ready to water sand. Hopefully, we’ll get the hi build on tomorrow.

Member #:1723
    Quote Originally Posted by TrifiveRichard View Post
    Hey Doug, Those are temporary. I will epoxy the aluminum block to the back of the bezel and the bolts will hold everything in place until the epoxy sets. Then, I’ll remove the bolts and glass the holes, and they will be gone!
    Richard,
    Ah, I see.
    Thanks, Doug

Registered Member

Last panels in final hi build primer

Sprayed last of the panels today, including the doors, hood, trunk and deck lids, and some misc parts. Next will be to water sand the body and panel jambs, then spray base/clear coat. We are near actual body color!

IMG_0947.jpeg

IMG_0948.jpeg

We're headed to CO for Christmas, so it'll be after new year before we make any more progress. Hope all have a good Christmas!

Cool Richard, I'm amazed at how much progress you've made in just a little over a year, even with some help. That would take me 5 years to do. LOL! Nice work.

Have fun in Granby!!

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:530
    Safe travels Richard and happy holidays with your family. We'll all sit tight and watch your restomod corvette for ya while your gone. Lock up that garage!
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast