Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Sue's 59 Corvette project....

Member #:516
    That's beautiful, she'll love it!! I hope you can post pictures of how to mask stuff when you do the final outside body paint, it would really help me. Thanks!!!

Registered Member

Member #:571
    The sealer is PPG K36, reduced and with some 2021 clear coat.
    Never heard of using a combination of K36 and 2021 as a sealer. Do they have a P-sheet on that?

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Never heard of using a combination of K36 and 2021 as a sealer. Do they have a P-sheet on that?
    yes they do, Rick. It gives the mixing ratio as 4, 2, 2, 1, as I recall. That’s K36, 2021, reducer, activator. It lays down nicely.
    Last edited by TrifiveRichard; 01-27-2023 at 03:39 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    It is magnificent Richard. Stunning will be how to describe Sue's corvette when it’s done and on the road. Great job documenting this build for us all to drool over.
    Thanks for the support, Paul. I’m glad you and others find the thread interesting.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    That's beautiful, she'll love it!! I hope you can post pictures of how to mask stuff when you do the final outside body paint, it would really help me. Thanks!!!
    Will do, Troy. We use what’s called “foam tape”, as I recall the name, to mask off the jambs. This provides for an irregular tape line that is removed when cutting and buffing. It adds to the time it takes to cut and buff, but turns out nice.
    Last edited by TrifiveRichard; 01-27-2023 at 03:41 PM.

Member #:2442
    Looking great Richard. I have used the foam tape and works very well. It leaves a soft edge that is easy to finish out. Not cheap but worth the money.

Member #:3249
    I thought this thread was very interesting before color. Now, OMG! That's beautiful!
    Bill

Registered Member

Much appreciate the comments, guys. We’re making progress a little at a time.

Member #:3217
    I found out today why we haven't been seeing any updates to this thread the last 10 days or so. Richard asked me to come over and give him a hand replacing the oilpan on the crate motor LT1 engine in sue's '59.. and while there he told me that Sue took his laptop to Colorado with her on her skiing trip!

The stock oilpan on the LT1 engine protruded ~ 2" below the front crossmember of the car and he was concerned it might get struck if he/Sue hit something... so he purchased a new oilpan from Holley which came exactly to the bottom of the crossmember. In so doing he lost ~ 1 qt of oil capacity and the use of the engine's oil cooler function (as part of the original oil pan). He probably didn't really NEED assistance, but I was there to 'attempt' to keep him out of trouble!

He might be able to post some photos of the original and replacement oilpans?

Yesterday he had Trey (his painter friend) over and they painted the underside of the hood, deck lid, and trunk lid, and the jambs of the doors and while there he asked me to post photos of those parts for him, so here they are...
    IMG_1030.jpgIMG_1031.jpgIMG_1032.jpgIMG_1033.jpg
    IMG_1034.jpgIMG_1035.jpg
    IMG_1036.jpg

The first photo is Trey painting the parts, and the others are the painted underside of the parts. Richard's plan is to reinstall the body on the chassis, then install the loose parts on the body, and then prep and paint the outside of the body in a final spraying step. He has already painted the coves on both the body and the doors so they will be masked off prior to that final body painting step.
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 02-16-2023 at 03:41 PM.

Registered Member

Thanks for posting the pictures and the description, Gary. We have yet to cut and buff the panels just painted, that should occur in the next couple weeks, then they will be ready to be installed. We’re making progress, a little at a time.

Concerning oil pan, the new one is a Holley unit. It holds 6.1 quarts, including the filter. The factory pan holds 7 quarts, including the filter and the oil cooler. I figured it was more important to not have the oil pan as the low point on the car, than to have the additional oil and cooler.

For others who may consider making a similar pan change, there are a couple other factors involved. First, the dip stick moves to the driver side from the passenger side, and a new dipstick and tube are needed. Second, the gen v LT1 has no pan gasket. It uses a special sealant, requiring a two step sealing process. First, apply the sealant and pan. Finger tighten the bolts to the point sealant bulges out. Then, wait an hour and torque the pan bolts.

Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast