Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Sue's 59 Corvette project....

Registered Member

Member #:3682

Radiator water reservoir mounted

The gen v LT1 is circa 2017 Camaro design and uses a radiator reservoir (surge tank). The crate engine instructions indicate the engine can be configured with or without one, as long as the engine steam lines return to the radiator or reservoir above the heads. Since the factory used a reservoir, I decided to also use one. I purchased a factory reservoir and have mounted it, but not yet plumbed it. The factory reservoir is pictured below and contains 3 ports: a bottom 1" port to tee into the radiator hose path, a smaller bottom port to connect to the engine steam ports, and a top pressure overflow to connect to a hose and vent to the ground.

IMG_0715.jpeg

The reservoir is non-metallic, irregularly shaped, and has factory mounting locations. Thus, it can't be welded to, isn't easy to package under the hood, and limits the attachment points. in addition to this, the mounting locations under the Corvette hood are limited, and the inner fenders are irregularly shaped. All this made it an interesting situation.

After considering potential mounting locations, it became clear there was only one viable location: passenger side, toward the rear of the engine compartment, partially under the fender. This meant I have to relocate the engine fuse/relay box that came with the motor, given I'd already mounted it, and it would now be under the reservoir and not accessible. Such is life! I'll work that later.

Thank goodness for cardboard templates, I was able to mock up the critical geometry, match mounting points, and make the mounting bracket, as shown in the following pictures. In addition to the mounting bracket, I decided to add support doublers for both the fiberglass side and the bracket side, the bracket is 16 gauge steel (.059").

IMG_0718.jpeg

IMG_0716.jpeg

IMG_0721.jpeg

The bracket mounts to the passenger inner fender, up top.

IMG_0725.jpeg

IMG_0726.jpeg

With the bracket mounted, the reservoir is mounted.

IMG_0730.jpeg

IMG_0732.jpeg

Done with the reservoir mounting, and the plumbing will be done later. On to the next one...

Member #:3217
    Again, very good work Richard! Sue wants to drive it to Pigeon Forge next May.. for the 'expanded' Smokey Mtn show!

Now fuse panel (relocation), and where to mount four 7x9 speakers?

Registered Member

My target is to get the Sue’s Corvette to the upholsterer by the end of the year. Given we make that, we should make Pigeon Forge in May.

And yes, I think I’ll work on relocating the engine fuse panel next. I’m still thinking about the speakers, subwoofer and amp. Not sure where they all will go yet.

Member #:1723
    Richard,
    Your reservoir install looks great, all looks so clean under the hood, like it was designed from the factory. Very nice!
    Regards, Doug

... designed/built in Richard's Custom Factory....

Registered Member

Thanks Doug, appreciate the comments. I do try to have things look like they belong, lol.

Registered Member

Progress continues, a little bit at a time

Continuing to fit/mount non-factory items on the Corvette. Found a new home for the engine fuse/relay box, since I had to relocate it. Also, been working at the frontend of the car, locating the a/c dryer.

The options are limited to mount the fuse/relay box under the hood, ensuring it would be accessible for checking fuses or replacing relays. I considered mounting it in the interior, but the fuse/relay panel is hardwired to the engine harness and would require an approximate 3"x5" hole to go thru and then have to be blocked off. I didn't like that idea. Thus, it's under the hood. The one place that is available/accessible is behind the motor in the area where the windshield wiper motor was located. The corvette now has a Raingear system and the motor is located under the dash. I had intended to leave the area unused, but the fuse/relay box needs a home, so that's where it's going. Turns out it was an easy mount, just punch 4 holes, and it's done.

IMG_0735.jpeg

The next item needing a home was the a/c dryer. I usually mount them on the passenger side on or near the radiator support, which provides easy connection to the compressor and the condenser. Again, there's no reasonable location on the engine side of the radiator support. The hood support is in the way and the inner fender shape precludes mounting there. There is room in front of the radiator support, on the passenger inner fender. Only problem was the fender slopes in this area. So, the dryer mounting bracket had to be beveled to mount the unit more vertical. I machined a doubler for the underside of the fender to keep the bolt tightening flat. The dryer is now mounted, using a rubber gasket since the fender where the dryer mounts isn't truly flat.

IMG_0737.jpeg

IMG_0739.jpeg

IMG_0741.jpeg

These are mounted, on to the next one...

Richard? Can you reach/access the new location for the fuse/relay box??

Registered Member

Sure, and the two side snaps that keep the lid on are easy enough to release.

Registered Member

Front stereo speaker mounts finished

You may be thinking this should be quick and easy: cut a hole in the panel, drill 4 holes for screws, instal the speaker, and put the grill on. Well, it wasn't quite that easy for a few reasons.

The front speakers could potentially mount in the doors or the kick panels (and probably some other places I didn't consider). I eliminated the doors for a few reasons: the speakers could potentially get wet, the space is quite constrained and it would take quite a bit of surgery to fit the speakers, and lastly I'd have more wires to run to the doors. Mounting the speakers in the kick panels eliminates these problems, although it brings up some of it's own. As can be seen in the following pictures, the kick panels have quite a bit of space available, although the foot-operated parking brake precludes the speaker and/or grill from extending beyond the kick panel. In addition, there's not lot of space in the passenger foot well, so it's better to keep the speaker inside the kick panel, rather than mounted on the surface and extending into the foot well.

IMG_0743.jpeg

IMG_0747.jpeg

IMG_0763.jpeg

Thus, the front speakers are going to be mounted to the aluminum substructure behind the kick panels, and the panels will be either drilled with holes or cut and grill cloth applied, based on the interior guys preference. The substructure locations were drawn on the kick panels to ensure the speaker holes didn't create another problem. It didn't, and the speaker mount panel template was made. It turns out that the same template flipped worked for both sides. With this, the plates were made, holes drilled and plates mounted.

IMG_0759.jpeg

IMG_0746.jpeg

IMG_0760.jpeg

IMG_0758.jpeg

The speakers were test fit, and all's well, LOL.

IMG_0761.jpeg

IMG_0757.jpeg

IMG_0762.jpeg

IMG_0764.jpeg

Front speaker mounts are finished, time to move on to the rear speakers and subwoofer.

Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast