Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Sue's 59 Corvette project....

Member #:2442
    Looking good Richard, I am sure the fit of everything will be much better than it ever was from the factory when you are done!!

Member #:3249
    Going to be the best 59 Corvette on the planet.

Registered Member

Member #:3682

This month’s plans

As many of you know, 20-22 May is the Smoky Mountain Classic Chevy show in Pigeon Forge, TN. We’ll be going, along with BamaNomad, Gary. Hope to see/meet some of you at the show.

I have some work to do on the 56 to get ready, so progress on the Corvette will slow down some this month. I appreciate your comments/suggestions on the Corvette’s build, thank you.

For those who haven’t seen the 56 build posting, I’ve added a few pictures here. The drivetrain is a 525hp LS3, Tremec Magnum close ratio 6-speed, 3:70 9” rear w/31 spline axles. Chassis is Art Morrison, brakes Wilwood. Interior was done by Paul Atkins Interiors here in Alabama.

79206843-ECA3-4B75-AFAE-9801032B6399.jpeg

3531150D-685D-48CF-B944-05AA029F7B89.jpeg

5D6F6EEC-5F0B-4D94-84E7-5BDF428854BC.jpeg

Member #:3217
    Hopefully you are going to DRIVE the '56 to PF???

Member #:530
    One of these years, I'm going to fly out to Pigeon Forge for this show and meet you guys. can't make it happen this year though.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

That’d be great, Paul. Plan it for next year!

For planning purposes, I'm pretty sure that the Smokey Mountain Classics Show is always the weekend in May that contains the 3rd Saturday of the month, and generally last from Thursday (arrival day), Friday and Saturday show days, and Sunday (awards morning)...

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I really wish they would move that national show around the country.

Mark? Where are you located? Kansas? Oklahoma? you're about in the middle of the country and could make them anywhere...?

PS. The Trifive Nationals have gotten so large, and it's so hot, (and I've gotten so old).. ..
    I'm liking the pigeon Forge show better (only ~300 cars, but always has parts, in a great hotel with everything in the parking lot, and in a beautiful part of the country (Smokey Mountains).
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 05-04-2022 at 06:35 PM.

Registered Member

Back working on the Corvette

Started back on the Corvette, after a break attending the Pigeon Forge Classic Chevy Show and taking a trip to Colorado. We moved the car out of the body shop area and put it on the lift last week.

IMG_0652.jpeg

Now we can complete a number of misc items not yet done, including covering the PCV catch can, modifying the front inner fender splash shields, fabricating the cold air intake, mounting the stereo speakers, and a few other items.

First up was the PCV catch can. The gen V LT1 PCV system vents the valley, heads and oil pan. The vapor is fed into the cold air intake and eventually burned. Also, any oil that condenses in the can is drained back into the oil pan. The factory can is located behind the water pump and its pulley. It's the black item in the picture behind the water pump. I could have probably used an aftermarket catch can, but decided to stick with the factory one.

IMG_0395.JPG

The factory gen v LT1 doesn't have a power steering pump, it's electrical, so we bought the Holley mid mount accessory system, which locates everything close and in front of the motor, and contains a type II power steering pump.

IMG_0501.JPG

Thus, the PCV can needed to be relocated, and it's on the passenger firewall. It's shape was functional factory located on the motor, but it's really an eye sore standalone, so I made a cover. That cleans it up a bit.

IMG_0034.jpeg

IMG_0653.jpeg

IMG_0654.jpeg

The last item just completed is the modification of the splash shields. The aftermarket frame has two rails on each side and the spacing is different from the factory frame, thus the shields needed to be reworked. I had earlier purchased stock aftermarket shields, and they were a good starting point. The factory passenger shield required some trimming and one slice/reweld, and it fit fine. The driver side shield took a bit more. It wasn't mounted the same way as the passenger side, and was a different shape. It's not clear why the two shields were shaped so differently, but I wanted both to look the same, so it was reworked, cutting into 4 sections, reshaping the bottom, trimming the sides and welding the sections back together.

IMG_0659.jpeg

IMG_0660.jpeg

Next, I plan on working the cold air intake and air filter.
    Last edited by TrifiveRichard; 07-03-2022 at 03:55 PM.

Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast