Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Thread: Sue's 59 Corvette project....

Member #:2442
    Nice progress, great idea running the battery cables through the plastic block!

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    Thanks Brian, I like to help battery cable penetrations anchored pretty solidly and the blocks work well.

Registered Member

Working on the electrical

It's been a while since I updated progress. I have started working on the wiring. I mount most of the electrical components together on a plate. I prefer this approach, rather than mounting them throughout the car. This makes it easier to locate, troubleshoot, and maintain the electrical system. It does require more wire, but that's ok for me. A good location for the components is the spare tire well in the trunk, alongside the battery. The electrical component plate was laid out and then machined, painted and assembled. After this, the components were bolted to the plate, and are now ready for wiring. A number of terminal strips have been used, some for mounting blocking diodes, some for signals, and some from gathering grounds since the body is non-conducting.

In order to run the wires to the interior, wiring channels needed to be created from the trunk. Square tubes were made and bonded between the trunk and the gas tank area, then an opening cut in the gas tank area to the interior. This keeps the wires hidden in both the trunk and interior. Harnesses are planned for the major wiring groups and will be terminated in the interior with connectors. That way most of the wiring can be accomplished on the bench and not on my back inside the vehicle. It also results in fewer random point to point wires under the dash.

Comment: I'm having a problem loading pictures the way I used to, with comments between them. So, they are all in a group below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #:530
    Wiring is fun. How you coming along Richard?
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Took some time off, Paul. Just returned from a 2 week trip thru the Caribbean. It reached 4 degrees in Huntsville just before we left, and I’d had enough! The cold weather gets to me.

Concerning the wiring, most of the wire harnesses are run from the panel, and the majority are terminated. I have a couple interface harnesses to make, then it’s connect wires to the panel.

Member #:530
    Good to hear you are taking some time off from this hobby. That's good for everyone once in a while.
    And glad to hear you are moving steadily thru the wiring process and this new/old vette will be on the road impressing everyone who sees it.
    Carry on!
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Making some progress

Been working a few things on the Corvette lately. The electrical panel is wired and about done with checks on it. Next is to mount it in the spare tire well and connect up the harnesses. After checking that out, we're done with the wiring.

IMG_1611.jpeg

Also, we put the steering column, gauge bezel and steering wheel on, hopefully for the final time. Column and gauges are all wired to the harnesses going to the rear where the electrical panel is located.

IMG_1607.jpeg

IMG_1606.jpeg

We've also been getting really for starting the Corvette, and have installed temporary header pipes needed for the O2 sensors. The pipes will be replaced when the actual exhaust pipes and mufflers are installed, but these will work for breaking the motor in.

IMG_1596.jpeg

We have yet to install the a/c evaporator unit. Also, we need bleed the brakes and clutch, add radiator coolant and the Corvette should be close to firing up. It's getting there...

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536