Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Sue's 59 Corvette project....

Member #:530
    Well thought out and well executed Richard! I like it...
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    Appreciate the comments, Paul. Took the tires and rims down today to be mounted and balanced. I’ll post a picture when I get ‘em back.

Registered Member

We're back making progress

Yesterday we got the last hi-build primer on the body. We still have the doors, deck lid, trunk lid, and hood to do. This will be the last block sanding on the body, after this we'll spray a coat and water sand. . Then it's color time!

We used SPI Turbo High Build Primer, and the it tacks up quickly, even at 70 degrees. The literature says 5 minutes and you can re-coat, and its about right, which creates its own issues with painting sequence to ensure it blends with the prior-sprayed panels before they tack up.

IMG_0850.jpeg

IMG_0849.jpeg

IMG_0851.jpeg

IMG_0852.jpeg

In addition, Sue and I picked up the tires today after mounting. She selected the rims and we put Pirelli P7s on them. Run Flat tires were chosen with tire pressure monitoring sensors, since there will be no spare in the car. The fronts are 245/45X18 and the rear are 255/45x18, just a little wider/taller.

IMG_0853.JPG
    Last edited by TrifiveRichard; 10-26-2022 at 07:13 PM.

Member #:1723
    Nice! That body is smooooth!

Registered Member

Getting closer to paint

We have blocked the 3 coats of hi-build on the body and just shot it with one more coat of primer. This will be water sanded with 400 grit in prep for color. The body pictures don't look much different than the previous, but it blocked out nicely and is smoother yet, Doug. We also took this time and Gary and I marked and drilled the holes for the side stainless trim on both sides.

IMG_0865.jpeg

IMG_0866.jpeg

IMG_0868.jpeg

In addition, we got 3 coats of hi-build on the doors, and hood, trunk, and deck lids. We are in the process of block sanding them now, then the final primer coat prior to water sanding.

IMG_0856.jpeg

Next on the body, we'll cover what we just primed, and paint the underside/inside areas that won't be body color. We'll epoxy coat these areas and then spray a couple coats of satin black single stage black to finish them off. Then it's finally time for color: water sanding first, then painting the jambs, then sanding off the overspray, then mounting the body to the frame, and then mounting doors, hood, trunk and deck lids. Then, finally spray body color! We obviously still have some work to do before painting color!

Member #:3217
    It's looking good Richard~ and it's nice that you're making progress in spite of all this colder weather we're having this week...

Looking good. Can't wait to see the color on it.

Registered Member

I’m with you, Paul. It seams like it is twice the work on this fiberglass car than on a normal steel car. We’ve done four body offs on steel cars prior, and I don’t think any took this much prep work.

Registered Member

Final paint on underside

Underside, we sprayed 2 coats of SPI epoxy last Tuesday and followed up today with 2 coats of Eastwood satin black urethane (60% gloss). This is the final paint on everything that will not be body colors (orange body or white coves).

IMG_0886.jpeg

IMG_0887.jpeg

IMG_0897.jpeg

In addition to painting the underside, we also covered the trunk, interior, and gas tank area. I don't care for working on bare metal, or fiberglass in this case, so these areas were covered, too. This also provides additional protection.

IMG_0893.jpeg

IMG_0898.jpeg

Tomorrow, we'll strip the plastic and tape off the body, in prep for water sanding. We're not quite done with hi build primer yet though, since we still have the doors, hood, deck and trunk lids to spray an additional 2 coats on. We have blocked most of these items getting ready, but still have some to block. With any luck we'll get that done and sprayed next Tuesday. At that point, it's water sand everything in prep for painting the jambs.

We're getting closer to final paint on the car...

good progress. Its all in the prep. You get that right and the final spray of color will come out gorgeous.

Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast