Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Sue's 59 Corvette project....

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I have a #4 Morse Taper drill press that weighs a much a a mill and a 15X54 Lathe but unfortunately never learned to use a mill. This project is looking good.

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    Thanks Mark. The manual mill is pretty easy to use. I have an older Bridgeport mill, circa 1981. It was refurbished around 2004, and still holds tolerances less than 2 thousandths.

Member #:3217
    Richard didn't say anything about what we did yesterday, but I was over there in his shop most of the day helping him remove the '59 Corvette body from the updated/custom chassis and then bolting it onto the 'frame' he made for his corvette to fit on his rotisserie. I think this is either the 3rd or 4th time we've moved this body from one frame to another:
    1) From original frame to the Corvette Corrections custom chassis...
    2) From the custom chassis to ?? (i'm not remembering what we put it on that time)..
    3) From that back to the custom chassis for glasswork and other body mods?
    4) From the custom chassis back to his rotisserie.. (yesterday)...

And I'm thinking I may have missed one or more changes... because he also has a rolling cart that I think we had it on at one time? My memory is getting old.. like my body!

Registered Member

Body's back on the ladder frame

Yesterday Gary and I transferred the body from the chassis to the ladder frame for what should be the last time. We have a number of odds and ends to take care of, then final high build priming/blocking, then paint the underside, both sides of the inner fenders, and area in front of the radiator. At that point, we plan to put it back on the chassis for the last time, also.

We unbolted the body from the frame and picked it up using 2x6's under the rockers. Then moved the chassis out, and moved the ladder frame under the body. (That's Gary in the background admiring our progress!). Then we lowered the body, using plumb bobbs at a few holes. We stopped lowering the body about 6" above the ladder frame, then dropping longer bolts thru the mounting holes in the body. Longer ones were required since we've added the 1 1/2" spacers.

We got all but the inside 2 bolts in place, and this is where it got interesting. I had to get on a ladder, step on the lift arm, open the door, and step inside the body to place the last two. That worked fine, then I stepped back on the lift arm and pushed the door to close, it didn't, so I pushed a little harder (I'm sure you know where this is going by now!). Yes, I pushed the body off the board and onto the ladder frame. It wes a dumb stunt, and I clearly wasn't thinking. The good news is the ladder frame was close enough to the body that there was no damage. We got a bottle jack, a cart to place it on, and some boards and got the body on the ladder frame. I was very lucky no damage was done!

IMG_0815.jpeg

IMG_0816.jpeg

The body is now back in the body shop area to finish up the remaining paint prep work, and it looks like the 1 1/2" stand offs are about right.

IMG_0817.jpeg

IMG_0818.jpeg

Making progress a little at a time...

Member #:3217
    I wasn't gonna rat on Richard for his 'unthinking' boo boo... and I'm surprised he admitted to it!

Member #:530
    Couple a knucka-heads you two are!
    Glad to see the progress and that it didn't set you back a few steps.
    Onward! lets see some color on that body soon.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Mistakes help keep one from getting a fat head, Paul! As long as there aren’t too many. LOL
    Last edited by TrifiveRichard; 09-04-2022 at 05:32 PM.

Member #:530
    Been 5 weeks since you posted a progress report on my (ahem...I mean Sue's) corvette restomod. Are you in "paint jail" yet?
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:4415
    I just read this entire thread and have a strong feeling of gratitude for the men doing this work and taking the time to share it in this format. I see some ideas and have learned a thing or two about the C1 'Vette that will be considered further for my own '62.

Keep working, gentleman!

Registered Member

Progress slowing a bit

First, glad you find the thread interesting/useful, schovil69. Second, Paul, things have slowed down some (on your Corvette?, LOL). My buddy, Trey, is the painter and he has a personal problem to deal with currently. Hopefully, it won't be too much longer and we will be able to get some paint on the Corvette.

We do have a spray out of the body colors, I wanted to make sure Sue was happy with the colors she picked out. The pearl white is for the coves and the orange is for the main body, and she says paint it!

IMG_0846.jpeg

I have been finishing up a few odds and ends before painting. Earlier, I had to cut a piece out of the inner fender to clear the hydra boost accumulator. I took some time and sealed up the inner fender. For the mold, I used a piece of 2 1/2" exhaust pipe, cut longways and welded up at the ends. Car paste wax was used as a mold release for the fabricated fiberglass piece.

IMG_0845.jpeg

IMG_0835.jpeg

IMG_0837.jpeg

The new piece was fiberglassed in place from the wheel-side of the inner fender. Then, the engine-side of the inner fender was finished off with filler. The end result is the hydra boost accumulator fits nicely and clears the inner fender.

IMG_0841.jpeg

IMG_0842.jpeg

IMG_0840.jpeg

Another item related to the hydra boost installation is we decided to use a wedge spacer at the firewall to change the angle of the hydra boost/master cylinder assembly. This dropped the master cylinder down enough to allow the top to be removed without changes to the top of the fender. It also is low enough so mods to the hood aren't needed.

IMG_0833 2.jpeg

Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast