Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Sue's 59 Corvette project....

Banned

Member #:2941
    Beautilful! Well planned and executed. What a wonderful car this will be when done!

Happy Motoring,

Harry

Member #:530
    dang, that's gonna be a saweeeet Corvette restomod. Keep posting progress pics. This makes me want a 59 vette restomod some day.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:3217
    My personal opinion is that the '59 and '60 models are the 'best' of the first generation Corvettes (in spite of the fact that the '62 got the 327 engine)..

Beginning with the '58 models, they got a little wider on the inside and had more space and legroom for a larger person. The '58 has some undesirable features like the 'rub-board' hood which holds water/dirt and is non-functional and totally unnecessary. The '58 also has the 'trunk irons', again which are totally non-functional, unnecessary weight and cost to rechrome.
    The '61/'62 models, while they got the 'ducktail' rear clip, which is OK to even a nice feature, they also 'lost' the teeth grill making the '60 the last model with the toothed grill.

1959 and 1960 models are almost identical with the only difference being the direction of the seams on the seat upholstery, and one can always swap in a '62 or later 327 ci engine..

Of course Sue's '59 is getting a 500 hp engine and 6 spd transmission which is even BETTER... but I've cautioned her that she must be very careful 'using' that much horsepower in such a lightweight and short wheelbase car! (they can swap ends with you very quickly in this situation!)..
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 09-14-2021 at 07:17 AM.

Banned

Member #:4739
    Well, in that case, if Sue's not living alone, pulling the stunts that you've just mentioned would more likely turn that Corvette into a Widowmaker, rather than a Widowermaker

Richard sent me a text today with additional photos (of work that he did all by his lonesome), unfortunately since I wasn't involved with that work, I have no idea what to say about the photos.. so maybe he will post some of those with some text to go along with them...

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    I will, although it may take a little while. We’re in CO right now, having driven from AL. We'll be here a few more days, then on to CA, be there a little over a week, then drive back to AL. I’ll update when I can.

Richard! Good.. I received the photos you sent, but without some 'information' on what, why, and how I'm afraid the photos wouldn't mean much.

Banned

Member #:2941
    Look forward to seeing the pics when you are ready to post them here!

HB

The next photos will have to wait until Richard returns from his and Sue's trip... maybe soon!

PS. Richard did allow me to use his paint booth while they were away, and I spent parts of 3 days this past week cleaning, hanging, and painting my black parts (bumper brackets and others), and my interior garnish mouldings, etc (all remaining parts that needed to be Victory Red)... so Thanks Richard. I'm going over this afternoon to clean up and pick up my red parts!

Registered Member

Member #:3682

Progress Update

We finally returned from our trip to CO, on to CA, back to CO and then home to AL. While in CO, we stopped to see Laszlo in Ft Collins, enjoyed talking with him and his wife, and seeing the updates to his 56 Nomad. We were on the road for 6 weeks, enjoyed it, but glad to be back in the shop!

I’ve started back on the Corvette, working to get ready to spray epoxy primer on the complete body. There were 3 areas that needed work: pedal modifications, bonding backing plates to the firewall, and prepping the underside for priming.

Pedal modifications included revising the clutch 'rod' attachment point to the pedal, addition of a clutch engagement switch and addition of clutch and brake pedal stops. The following pictures show the pedal assembly mods and the assembly thru the firewall. I use the clutch and brake switches in series to control the trans reverse lockout solenoid. Also, we're using a Hydoaboost power brake booster on the Corvette. I used one on the 56 HT, and I won't go back to a vacuum unit again.

IMG_0317.jpeg

IMG_0277.jpeg

There are 3 backing plates, 1ea for the clutch master cylinder, the gas pedal, and the a/c evaporator unit. The backing plates for the clutch and gas pedal are to distribute the force when the pedals are pushed. They are machined out of aluminum and panel bond adhesive is used to attach. Gas pedal bolts thru the firewall are only for bonding, holes filled later. The gas pedal is mounted to the plate with 3 bolts, and the plate allows for 3 mounting positions. I believe the center location is correct, but this allows for adjustment. The gas pedal was provided with the GM Connect and Cruise kit and connects to the ECU, no mechanical connection. For the a/c, I made a bracket that attaches to the evaporator unit, and it bolt to the firewall plate in 4 places, makes it easy to install. The holes in the plate are for bolting up the ECU mount and engine fuse/relay assembly on the engine side of the firewall.

IMG_0320.jpeg

IMG_0318.jpeg

IMG_0387.JPG

The last activity has been scraping and sanding undercoat from the rear wheel wells, and filling unused holes. The body was soda blasted some time ago, but not the underneath side. Gary pressure washed it with Simple Green and got most the crud, but not the undercoat. it's taken a couple days, but the wheel wells are now clean. Also, in the picture, you can also see the cutout of the spare tire well needed to clear the C4 IRS rearend.

IMG_0328.jpeg

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast