Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Sue's 59 Corvette project....

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I like it too, nice to see a thread like this on here for a change.

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    Thanks guys, it should be nice when completed, although working with fiberglass is getting to me! I have cleaned/sanded most of the remaining glass pieces and plan to epoxy them Tuesday. I’ll be glad when they are all in primer. Then a few repairs and blocking, and on to paint.

Registered Member

Ready for epoxy on remaining fiberglass parts

I'm done sanding to bare fiberglass. Parts included doors, hood, trunk lid, deck lid, kick panels, passenger tray and support, and seats console. My hands and fingernails were really tender! DA work was easy, but hand sanding details was tedious.

The parts have been ready for epoxy for about a week, but the weather hasn't cooperated. The epoxy mfg says don't spray below 65 degrees, and we haven't made it to that yet. The problem isn't shop temp, but paint booth makeup air temp. I don't have heated makeup air. Looks like the next few days will be in the high 60s, low 70s, so we're keeping fingers crossed we can spray.

IMG_0368.jpeg

Last week I also gathered up most of the remaining steel/aluminum parts needing to be epoxy coated. These were bead blasted and cleaned with wax and grease remover. They are ready for epoxy, as the weather permits.

IMG_0378.jpeg

Started blocking the body. Blocked the initial high build coat on the passenger side, skim-coated with filler, blocked, then repeated. Side looks pretty straight. After completing this on the rest of the body, we'll mount the body on the new chassis and final-fit the doors, trunk lid, and hood. The body needs to be on the frame to get body gaps right, especially the doors. After this, we'll epoxy the body again, high build, and block one more time. We need the last epoxy, since we've sanded to bare fiberglass in some areas.

IMG_0381.jpeg

IMG_0382.jpeg

Member #:1723
    Your preparatory work looks great! Lots of work done.
    BTW, I like the bin/rack system on the wall in your shop (and with labels so you can narrow down which bin to look in first).

Registered Member

I am almost more inpressed with the organization of the bin/ rack system .

Registered Member

I’ve collected cars and parts for many years, as many of you have. It was frustrating knowing I had a part, but couldn’t find it! The bins came in handy, and I can usually find what I’m looking for within 1 or 2 bin searches. The shelf units are made from 1x1x1/8” angle iron with 3/4” plywood.

Member #:3217
    You guys don't know the half of it, just from the photos here... Richard is about the most organized person I know, certainly in the car enthusiast world...

PS. it probably screws his mind over when he comes over to help me... seeing my jumble of disorganiztion..

Registered Member

Member #:4419
    Following along on this, love those early C1 Corvettes. Have to agree on the organization of the parts and accessories. Very impressive.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    You guys don't know the half of it, just from the photos here... Richard is about the most organized person I know, certainly in the car enthusiast world...

PS. it probably screws his mind over when he comes over to help me... seeing my jumble of disorganiztion..
    There’s always more than one way to do it, Gary! Lol

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post

According to my GF I have the world biggest mess. I do find it annoying when I buy something use it and then find a NIB one the following day.

Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast