Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Sue's 59 Corvette project....

Member #:1723
    Hi Richard,
    Very nice engineering and fabrication!
    Regards, Doug

Member #:3217
    Looks good Richard~ What cha working on today?

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    Appreciate the comments guys. I’m currently working on mounting the rear speakers. I have the box for one completed and the speaker is mounted, working on the second one. I’ll post an update when I get the second one done.

Registered Member

Rear speaker mounts finished

As I've indicated in prior posts, there just isn't much room for items the factory didn't design in. This applies to installing rear speakers, too. I considered the doors, the center divider/glove box, the divider behind the seats, and the rear area with the convertible top. There was no reasonable way to mount the 5x7 rear speakers. After considering these, I went to the trunk. As it turns out, there is room on the outside of the trunk hinges. The speakers can't be mounted against the fiberglass though, because it's not flat in this area. But, a bracket works just fine, so I fabricated a couple sheet metal mounts.

IMG_0775.jpeg

IMG_0776.jpeg

The speakers are 5x7 inch Polk, marine-certified, 100 watts RMS. It's unlikely the speakers will get wet, but they will be open to the convertible top area that could get wet, so marine rating was an insurance policy.

IMG_0777.jpeg

IMG_0781.jpeg

IMG_0782.jpeg

This completes the front/rear speakers mounting. Next is the subwoofer...

Richard, your brackets are fine looking.. but are you going to cut holes in the fiberglass to 'let the sound out'?? OR ??
    Will you be at your shop tomorrow? I sent you an email.. I'd like to come over and discuss one of my problems with yuo?

Gary

Registered Member

Yes, I’m not sure yet whether I’ll cut holes and use a grill, or whether I’ll just drill holes.

I’ll be at the shop all day Saturday, stop by.

Registered Member

A little more progress

Been working up front lately, making sure the air coming thru the grill opening goes thru the condenser and radiator. The major problem is below the grill and in front of the radiator support.

IMG_0810.jpeg

The first air dam made seals off the area between the body below the grill and the radiator support, which is the major open area. It mounts to the bottom of the radiator support and has a rubber seal against the lower body panel. The seal will be bonded to the sheetmetal dam after final paint.

IMG_0814.jpeg

IMG_0733.jpeg

There's another opening below the condenser/radiator and the radiator support where incoming air can bypass. A small air dam was made that attaches to the u-channel support of the condenser. An aluminum bracket was made, bolts to the u-channel and the sheetmetal dam.

IMG_0798.jpeg

IMG_0806.jpeg

The next bypass was the 4" hole in the passenger side of the radiator support. This hole connected the air duct to the factory heater box. Given we're using a Vintage Air heat/air unit, the hole is unused. This was an easy sheetmetal cover fix. The last area to be worked now was caused by the having cross-support rods in front of the radiator. With this, the condenser can't be mounted against the radiator core. There was an option to cut the rods out, but I really didn't want to go that route.

IMG_0791.jpeg

IMG_0809.jpeg

In order to ensure the air going thru the condenser goes thru the radiator, another air dam was made, along the lines of the bottom condenser seal.

IMG_0790.jpeg

IMG_0794.jpeg

IMG_0808.jpeg

With these completed, the only remaining area is above the radiator. This will wait until the body is off the frame again, so the hood can be closed and the gap assessed.

While working on the frontend, I decided to mount the horns. The units are aftermarket 69 Camaro horns, somewhat smaller that the originals, of which I only have one anyway. In order to keep from drilling more holes in the fiberglass, a mount was made to use one of the condenser mounting holes. This places them mostly above the grill opening, providing a solid mount.

IMG_0792.jpeg

IMG_0796.jpeg

IMG_0797.jpeg

This pretty much completes the work with the body on the chassis. Next is to remove the body and place it on the rotisserie. This time the body needed to be lifted a small amount to allow for painting the underside of the body where the ladder frame is close. 1 1/2" blocks were machined and bolted to the ladder frame to provide a solid mount, allowing the body to be rotated on the rotisserie 90 degrees.

IMG_0813.jpeg

IMG_0812.jpeg

Plans are to put the body on the rotisserie tomorrow, with Gary's help. At that point we'll be working towards final paint.

I'll see you in the Morning Richard!~

Member #:3249
    I'm sooo jealous! I can't even imagine engineering like this!

Registered Member

One can do a fair amount with a mill, lathe, mig welder, and a little work. I appreciate your interest following the build, thanks Bill.

Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast