Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Sue's 59 Corvette project....

Registered Member

Member #:3682

The weather cooperated

The weather was warm today, probably 70 degrees or so, and we were able to epoxy paint. All the fiberglass, steel, and aluminum parts previously prepped were hung in the paint booth today and sprayed. It was a little crowded in the booth, with 44 parts, but it worked. I believe we had a dozen fiberglass parts and 32 steel or aluminum small parts.

It was good to get all in epoxy, since I don't expect the weather to cooperate much longer this season. Hopefully, we will have one more warm day and we can get the fiberglass parts in high build primer and the steel/aluminum parts painted final satin black. If we can do this shortly, within 7 days, the epoxy doesn't need to be scotch brite sanded. That obviously saves a fair amount of repeated effort/time.

After this, we will be focusing on continuing to block the body and other fiberglass parts, as well as fiberglassing some small problem areas.

IMG_0390.jpeg

IMG_0387.jpeg

Member #:3217
    Hopefully the weather will cooperate for a while longer so the primer can be completed... and the metal parts painted with semi-gloss. Richard, tell everyone what you use to spray the underside and hidden metal parts as I'm not sure I remember correctly, but I do love the gloss level achieved.

Registered Member

Gary’s pulling my leg, but ok I’ll bite. For a body-off, nut & bolt restomod build, I tend to not leave steel unpainted, regardless whether it is visible or not. I don’t care to have it surface rust. Aluminum, same way, I don’t want it to oxidize either, although some aluminum I will leave alone, or clear coat, if I want the contrast.

I use Eastwood’s satin black for most metal parts. I’ve used it for years, it’s catalyzed, easy to apply, has a nominal 60% gloss, and it lasts. The other thing I tend to do is spray the underbody and associated parts the same satin black. I really don’t want the underbody to standout, I want it to fade to the background.

What do the rest of you guys do? I know Gary likes things the way the factory left them.

Actually I wasn't pulling your leg, Richard.. I really like the gloss/sheen on your black semi-gloss parts and the fact you're using an activated paint, but I wasn't sure I could say exactly what you use. And I'm curious what others here use for the black semi-gloss parts??

No, I'm not a fan of a black underpan. On an original restoration, I prefer to see 'simulated' red oxide primer (but done with a catalyzed urethane paint). On a 'custom car', I like seeing strong contrast between underbody and the chassis...

Registered Member

Eastwood's satin black

Here is the info on the paint, with part numbers on the cans, in case others care to try it out. The console is the one Gary and I modified for the 56 chevy, adding 9" to the center section and removing 7" from the rear. The paint is Eastwood's satin black, and it’s about a 60% gloss.

IMG_0350.JPG

IMG_0333.jpeg

IMG_0334.jpeg
    Last edited by TrifiveRichard; 12-05-2021 at 06:03 AM.

The 'reason' I like it so much, is that IMO the 'gloss' level is just about perfect for the underhood black parts (inner fenders, radiator support, etc) for a trifive restoration (and for many other years of GM cars up thru the mid-70's at least), AND it's a catalyzed urethane for toughness.

Member #:1723
    Hi Richard,
    Thanks for posting the specifics on the satin paint you are using.
    Regards, Doug

Registered Member

Hey Doug. It does have a nice finish, hopefully others will find it useful.

Member #:1723
    I bet that Vette be looking mighty fine by now.

Registered Member

Took a month off Doug and was in your country, Granby CO mostly. Since we returned, I’ve been fixing holes and cracks in the fiberglass, with Gary’s help glassing. We’ve also been applying a skim coat of filler on the body and blocking it off. I’ll take a couple pictures tomorrow and post.

Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast