Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: '57 Nomad windlace-related trim color (for Red/Black BA Interior)..

Member #:3217

'57 Nomad windlace-related trim color (for Red/Black BA Interior)..

I need some clarification on the COLOR that the windlace holding metal (in front of the doors) should be painted on a '57 Nomad with stock red/black interior. The windlace that was shipped to me with this interior kit from CARS is black, so I'm suspecting the metal which holds it should also be painted black as well. Same question on the two short vertical trim pieces at each side of the tailgate. Since the windlace adjacent to it is black, I'm thinking all the related trim should be black. Can anyone confirm this for me?

Member #:530
    I don't really know the answer Bama, but your logic sounds correct to me. Paint them the same color as the windlace itself. (so that blends in).
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Mikey (from the other site) suggested that they 'look better' when the outer half is painted body color, and the inner half is painted to match the kick panel... Since I'd already painted them body color (red), I've masked off the outer portion and will paint the inner half 'semi black' to match the kick panel...

Speaking of the (cardboard) kick panel, do you guys suggest painting them? leaving them as they come? or ??

Member #:1723
    Bama,
    FWIW, when I ordered an interior kit from CARS, Inc., for my 57 2dr hardtop (seat covers, headliner, carpet, ...), the kickpanels were the color of the seatcover body fabric (not referring to the cloud fabric inserts). I think the coordinated color looks good.
    Regards, Doug

Doug,

Are you saying your kick panels came from CARS in 'blue'?? I'm pretty sure mine came in black (but I may need to look again and see).. The interior materials for my 'red/black' BA interior are either red, black, or cloud material (which is mostly black). I'm wondering if the 'cardboard' material the kick panels is made from would preserve/last better with paint on them? OR should they be covered in vinyl??

Member #:1723
    Bama,
    Yepper, blue. Since my mind is like a drain these days, I just now went down to the shop to verify, and yes, a blue that matches the color of the seats (not the cloud material). Just my opinion, but I think the painted version would last better and be more resistant to elements. When I bought my car, the owner had brought the car back from death, doing so economically. The car was originally Pearl Dusk (aka pink, when weathered), and he had his body man spray it Harbor Blue. His interior guy used the old cardboard kick panels, but covered them in vinyl, which would seem to me to be the most wear resistant option. I chose to restomod the car, and bring the interior back to a mostly original look (CARS).
    Regards, Doug

I love an original BA in Harbor Blue and original interior. One of my friends here in our local club has one like that, although he hasn't driven it in years... Harbor Blue is a beautiful lightly metallic color...