Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Door Hinge Question

Member #:3718

Door Hinge Question

I have a question about the door hinges on the '55s. Mine are of course minus the doors at this point but they seem to be in good shape as far as not being sloppy. They have some kind of catch in them that I would assume is to keep the door in an open position. On mine, moving the hinge by hand it takes a bit of "extra" effort to open them. Since I am putting on lightweight fiberglass doors, I am thinking that this might be an issue in cracking the 'glass. Has anybody taken the hinges out and removed or modified the catch on them? I also need to be able to remove the doors easily to put the car in the enclosed trailer so I really need the door hinges to swing out/in easily.
    Remember the "13"

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I have always thought an enclosed trailer with a side door would be nice. I understand your issue my hinges on my 55 2dr sedan are tight in center of travel. I dont seem to have this issue on 56 ht.

That's interesting, I wonder if there are different hinges according to model? This a 210 sedan.

My sons have trailers with the side doors and they can be a help but if the bottom of the car door is sitting lower than the trailer wheel box, you're out of luck. My trailer is a 1999 model, 28' with extra height. I just keep rebuilding it while my kids have been through 2-3 trailers already.
    Remember the "13"

Registered Member

Member #:625
    IDK, my 55 is a 150 and 56 is a BA.

Member #:3217
    I'm pretty certain that all the door hinges are the same regardless of trim level (150, 210, 2400).

There IS a detent in the hinge for purpose of holding the door open, and Yes the hinges can be difficult to 'rotate' by hand without the leverage of a door, especially if they are not well lubricated.

I wouldn't do anything to modify that detent action at least until after you get the doors mounted as I don't think it will be a problem even with a FG door... even a fiberglass door should be reinforced in the hinge area...

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    I'm pretty certain that all the door hinges are the same regardless of trim level (150, 210, 2400).

There IS a detent in the hinge for purpose of holding the door open, and Yes the hinges can be difficult to 'rotate' by hand without the leverage of a door, especially if they are not well lubricated.

I wouldn't do anything to modify that detent action at least until after you get the doors mounted as I don't think it will be a problem even with a FG door... even a fiberglass door should be reinforced in the hinge area...
    They are beefed up in that area but I have to have it removable which means it just going to be a bracket sitting on a pin basically - in turn I need the hinges to move easily. Good to know there's nothing different among the models. Not looking forward to messing with those phillips screws though - had those on a '49 Ford - what a pain that one was.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    If I wanted an easily removeable door I'd ditch the stock hinges and go with a hinge like you'd see on a pro stock drag car.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    If I wanted an easily removeable door I'd ditch the stock hinges and go with a hinge like you'd see on a pro stock drag car.
    We have those on the Camaro & Monza and I have a set that I bought for this car but they can be a royal pain to get setup correctly. I was hoping to keep the stockers but it might not work out so I do have that option.