Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Landing a Cessna on an aircraft carrier......

Member #:2941

Landing a Cessna on an aircraft carrier......

Saigon is falling......

https://diplomacy.state.gov/u-s-dipl...mats-refugees/

Landing a stolen Cessna Bird Dog on an aircraft carrier at sea to save your wife and 5 children......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZbK...nnel=DarkSkies

In the late 1940s, the US Army requested a lightweight monoplane that could fly at low altitudes for short-field operations.

But during the Korean and Vietnam wars, the Cessna O-1 Bird Dog would take a more significant role in signaling rockets and relaying combat information to strike aircraft.

The tiny but resourceful Bird Dog would eventually be manufactured in several countries and flown all over the world on its way to a lengthy career.

Still, a particular occurrence at the tail end of the Vietnam War would become its trademark deed.

During the massive humanitarian operation that evacuated the remaining Americans and thousands of South Vietnamese civilians on April 29, 1975, Major Buang-Ly stole a Bird Dog to flee from Con Son Island and take his family to safety.

With no working localization instruments and the aircraft’s fuel running out, the South Vietnamese pilot eventually followed a helicopter squadron and spotted a US aircraft carrier in the open sea.

The USS Midway was already rescuing hundreds of evacuees when a note fell from the skies:

“Please rescue me. Major Buang wife and 5 child.”
    Unprepared to land a restless aircraft amidst the frenzied chaos, Captain Lawrence Chambers risked his own career to help a fleeing family in distress...

Best regards,

Harry
    'G-d Bless The U.S.A.'...... Lee Greenwood......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_5aoptI5j0

Staff Sergeant Roy Benavidez......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3nncd4sxaM&t=466s

Member #:3217
    Thanks Harry! Those were interesting reads (and video)... took me back 50 yrs!
    Sometimes my memories of the sixties and early 70s' is better and more clear than any of the years since!!

Really interesting about Major Huang flying his family to safety and landing on an aircraft carrier in a stolen O-1 !

A close cousin was an NCO in the USAF and his major duty in Vietnam was (clarification edit) I called and spoke with my cousin and he clarified my memory. He was a ground station radio operator, controlling and directing the O-1, O-2 aircraft where they were needed. He was stationed primarily at Tamky, but also flew in those aircraft to other locations in So Vietnam, wherever they were needed, and his 'flying officer' would let him handle the aircraft while in the air, but his duty was manning the radio, whether he was in the air or in the ground station. He put in his 20+ and still draws his retirement pay... He told me they began getting the O-2 aircraft in '68-69 time frame and actually before we left Vietnam the O-10 also came into use. The O-1 that Major Huang stole and landed on the aircraft carrier must have been a pretty old one..

PS. Seeing (again) the chaos of departing Saigon/Vietnam those many years ago, right after seeing the 'stupidity' and withdrawal from Afghanistan, and the huge costs (in $$ and American lives) of those 10+ yrs in Vietnam, and 20 yrs in Afghanistan, makes me believe (HOPE) that SURELY US Political leaders have learned something (to stay out of other countries wars). Helping other countries is fine but sending in our troops to lose their lives for *nothing* (in the final analysis) is not good and only prolongs what seems to be the inevitable. Over 58,000 US troops, and over 200,000 South Vietnam soldiers were killed during Vietnam (and many ?? others from Australia and other supporting countries), and the following tally from Afthanistan:
    The Human costs of US involvement in Afghanistan
    American service members killed in Afghanistan through April: 2,448.
    U.S. contractors: 3,846.
    Afghan national military and police: 66,000.
    Other allied service members, including from other NATO member states: 1,144.
    Afghan civilians: 47,245.
    Taliban and other opposition fighters: 51,191.
    Aid workers: 444.

-----------------------------------------------
    It causes one to address the serious question:
    Will serving politicians EVER learn anything from prior generations of mistakes??
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 10-06-2021 at 02:52 PM.

I'll just say that any war where we can oppose our nation's enemies on their own turf rather than waiting to fight them in the streets of American cities is worth fighting. And my buddies and their 58,000 brothers in arms whose names are inscribed on the Wall...... Did not 'lose their lives for nothing'. They lost their lives defending our nation.

That's all I have to say.

Harry

Harry: My opinion of wars has always been, and always will be: Do not get into one that you have a choice not to, but if you do enter a war, then you don't quit.. you WIN IT.. as quickly as possible. WWI and WWII we didn't have a choice really, and those world wars did not last as long as Vietnam or Afghanistan...

The main problem with Vietnam and Afghanistan is that we were never attempting to WIN It; instead we were there trying to maintain a non-viable 'status quo'... so as soon as we left, 'the other side' won! So WHAT did our loss of lives and other costs buy us in either case??
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 10-08-2021 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    ...... So WHAT did our loss of lives and other costs buy us in either case??

They bought us time and kept our enemies at a distance, Gary. Same as the men at the Alamo did tying up the Mexican Army for 13 days whilst Sam Houston prepared and deployed his forces to defeat and capture Santa Ana soon after.

No, things were not done as they should have been whilst we were deployed in Viet Nam. Birds of a feather flock together and as such, leftists and political opportunists (the hate America crowd) in our government have (and continue to) place obstacles in our path as young men and women put their lives on the line to defend our nation.

All gave some and some gave all. Just because we have crap for 'leadership' both in Washington and at the heads of our nation's military at present same as during the war in Viet Nam does not mean that our men and women in military service 'lose their lives for nothing'. It means that they strive to defend our nation against our enemies without (foreign) in spite of our backstabbing enemies within (domestic).

Like many young people when I was in military service, I was oblivious of this beyond the obvious (What the hell are they thinking?!?). I did not begin to become aware of the enemy within until I was back Stateside and saw John Kerry and the 'posers' he brought with him invited to testify before Congress by the same Democrat politicians that were undermining our efforts in Viet Nam......

http://www.americans-working-togethe...gham/id33.html

I heard his lies. I saw his radical associations with Jane Fonda and others. And I remember Kerry traveling to the Paris Peace Accords (not a member of our government nor authorized to speak for America in any way)...... Taking the side of our enemies. And his buddy John McCain's part in it all, as well. The result of which were many American MIAs and POWs left behind (in country, in camps in Laos and in North Vietnamese, Chi-Com and Soviet prisons). And I will never forget nor forgive either of them for that betrayal.......

https://www.typeinvestigations.org/i...ain-pow-cover/

Included in the evidence that McCain and his government allies suppressed or sought to discredit is a transcript of a senior North Vietnamese general's briefing of the Hanoi politburo, discovered in Soviet archives by an American scholar in 1993. The briefing took place only four months before the 1973 peace accords. The general, Tran Van Quang, told the politburo members that Hanoi was holding 1,205 American prisoners but would keep many of them at war's end as leverage to ensure getting war reparations from Washington.
    Anyway...... This is America, Gary. You are entitled to your opinion same as all here. No hard feelings on my part. One of the reasons my buddies fought and died there was defending your right to have and express your opinions.

I am a former Marine. With few exceptions, we were volunteers. Our attitude was that we would either accomplish our mission or die trying and if that were the case, in so doing we would take as many of the enemy with us as we could. And maybe that is why I view pacifist isolationist notions as defeatist. But you are entitled to believe what you will and I would take up arms again to make damned sure you can continue to think and say what you will. So as I said...... No hard feelings on my part. Have at it.

With respect,

Harry
    Last edited by enigma57; 10-08-2021 at 03:58 PM.

Harry, you and I are both staunch conservatives, and we're both Viet veterans, and we BOTH lost several friends to that war, and we lost a few years of our lives during that time. And yet you've bashing me as if I'm one of the liberal demos you talk about each day???
    We don't need to be arguing about whether it's a good thing that 'old men power hungry politicians' who never spent even a minute in the military should be sending our young men off to foreign wars to die, or under what situations.

I got a message from Laszlo tonight; he pointed out something that I, and everyone else is aware of, that this site has turned into your personal right wing rantings site. He hasn't posted here in 18 months, but he says he checks in but finds no reason to post himself.

This site is a CHEVY SITE, yet few posts are about cars these days. Laszlo says 90% are 'right wing political' posts and he's right. Both he and I have contributed to that at times, but he says he's done with it. I've been fighting it, trying to get more CAR POSTS and lesser political postings, but I'm close to giving up trying. I voted for Trump twice, even though I'm NOT a fan of him personally; I voted for him as the lesser of two bad choices. I can't see myself ever voting for a Democrat as long as they are as liberal as they are, but I'm hoping the republicans can come up with a better 'common sense' conservative candidate than Donald next time.

But I don't need to come here each day to 'just be peeved' that we can't get any car related postings.

I'll leave the 'right wing' political postings to you and Al...

Gary
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 10-08-2021 at 06:41 PM.

Sorry you feel that way, Gary. It was not my intent to 'bash' anybody. Least of all yourself. We just see things from differing perspectives, apparently.

Tell you what...... Since my posting here seems to be an issue for you and Laszlo, I'll just move on and you guys can have things your way. If you try hard enough, you may even be able to turn Sid's website into a mirror image of the 'other' trifive website. Draconian rules selectively enforced by moderators on a power trip. No free speech, no substantive discourse on current events of great import and all the rest of what that entails.

Hell, you might even invite our two (former) resident trolls back who took great joy in insulting members here and attempting to disrupt the website. So much so that they managed to get themselves banned. And all aimed at changing the off topic forum here just as you would have it...... So that it would no longer be OK to discuss 'off topic' subjects at all. I'm sure that will go well. Cancel culture at its finest. You can take great pride in that accomplishment.

Well, as I said in my priour post...... No hard feelings on my part. And if you have any, I hope you get over them soon.

Bye,

Harry

Member #:4739
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    ...I don't need to come here each day to 'just be peeved' that we can't get any car related postings...
    It seems, everything that's to be said about these 66 year old cars has been said, until the next Chevrolet drivetrain appears for dropping in.
    Enigma is one of the very few members here who is keeping this place from becoming a ghost town. If he were to be posting political news outside of the Chit-Chat subforum, all of the rants concerning would be understandable. How difficult would it be to just not read threads in the Chit-Chat section? I don't force myself to read anything of which doesen't interest me
    Quote Originally Posted by enigma57 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enigma57 View Post
    I'll just move on and you guys can have things your way...
    No, you're not! Come back here. There's no escaping

Last edited by Al_Dente; 10-09-2021 at 12:33 AM.

Member #:3
    To tell you guys the truth , I'm really tired of throwing $$ into a Hole .

I used to email this to all that joined and this is from 2012 (Glad you have join the site , hope you find it helpful also you can help by posting pictures and things you do to your car . Chit chat is full of BS so if it not your cup of tea just stay clear ), LOL
    Thanks again
    Sid

Why does One go into Chit Chat when its Cancer for some ???

I have tried to help Many on this site & you guys know who you are.

The ones complaining the most could also post Car stuff on this site

I also had 3 guys Logo posted free on the header

Classic Edge Designs
    Prime Custom Cars
    Madmooks

I know one that don't come back at all as he is doing Face Book
    One the Link no longer is good
    The other one checks in all the time but cause trouble when he posted but guess now he gave up

so I will be thinking of selling the site soon

Sad

There even a New site Phantom TriFive Forum

Good luck all

Later Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2019 Ford Super Duty F350
    2018 Ford Explorer
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Sid, I just want to say that there are many of us 'other site' ex-pats here. And like myself, all whom I have spoken to greatly appreciate your providing a website for us where unlike the 'other site' we are treated with respect and as adults.

Your point regarding those who complain the most about the Chit Chat (off topic) forum actually being used for off topic subjects as intended, is well taken.

If that is truly the issue for them, they could simply post on the many automotive forums here and stay off Chit Chat.

I suspect the real issue for them is control. They want to silence those of us with whom they do not agree.

The sad irony for me are the parallels between those who leave repressive websites such as the 'other site' and once they find safe refuge here...... Want to remake this website into a mirror image of the website they left to come here...... And those who leave states or even other countries with repressive regimes and relocate. And soon after, begin working to make their new location the way it was in the crap hole they escaped from. Just makes no sense.

Good tip regarding https://phantomtrifive.com/ , Sid. I spoke with Charlie and he is just now getting it up and running. He wants to follow your example of treating members with respect and as adults and I hope he makes a go of it. He has been on the receiving end of the idiocy that takes place on the 'other site' and I believe he will ensure that none of it goes on at his website. I stopped by there the other day. Signed up and did a post in the Intro section for new members. I believe I am member #4.

Anyway...... Whatever you decide, thanks for providing this site for us. And anything I can do to support you in whatever direction you decide to go...... Please let me know and I will do my best to make it happen.

Best regards,

Harry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast