Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1957 partially built Nomads being shipped from the Clevland Ohio plant straight up by train

Registered Member

Member #:3799
    Sorry for a lot of confusion , When I remember clocking the GMC tractor's with the Chevrolet big block motors was during the 70's . I worked in Tarrytown on Main St. A building which I still own and from the front you could see them coming up the very steep grade of Central Ave . At the top of the hill they met Broadway which was flat , at this point they had to keep going out onto Broadway rt.9 in creeper gear weather their was traffic or not onto Broadway or the loaded trailer would get stuck on the degree change . You could see the road was very scraped up where they would bottom out . Their was always another loaded trailer coming in three min. behind him .
    Last edited by nomad; 12-17-2021 at 06:27 AM.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    No problem sometime question lead to questions or it peaks interest in a related but different matter.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    "wondering how this thread deviated from Nomad shipments to 'Diesel truck big block power'??? *L* Start a new thread fellas if this is something you want to discuss"

OP started that. No big deal to me.

Member #:3217
    OK... since the OP began the deviation, it's his choice... (but personally I'm a LOT more interested in NOMADS as a topic..

Registered Member

I really enjoyed the deveation and decided the big GMC trucks of this era are really cool to look at and I learned a bit about them

your posts seemed to imply that you KNEW a lot about the big diesels, Mark.. certainly 100% more than I knew.

Registered Member

My grandpa was a diesal mechanic and a couple of my old beer drinking buddies were the same. One of which worked at a Chevy car dealership in the 60s and taught me a lot of what I know about cars of that era. I am really do not that know very much.

Registered Member

Member #:3799
    Bama , you are right 10 assembly plants . I still have a place in Tarrytown NY . and can remember "Ancor Motors " delivering the loaded trailers . My friend who worked their and started in 1958 said that they made 500 cars a work shift ,with two shifts a day = 1,000 cars per day , closed Saturday and Sunday unless it was needed to be open to catch up . Just moving the 1,000 new cars out of there per day was amazing . Only the Oakland California GM plant was producing more year end totals than the Tarrytown NY. GM plant.
    Last edited by nomad; 03-27-2022 at 06:51 AM.

Member #:4597
    Not a trifive, but weirdly stacked vegas:

Nomad: Just to be clear and complete, there were 10 US GM assembly plants, but there was also an assembly plant in Canada which made 11 total. I think it was in Oshawa, but I can't find any detailed information on their production during the trifive years. There were also some 'partial assembly plants in other countries where the CKD (knockdown cars) were final assembled and tailored for that country's requirements, but I think most/all of those CKD cars began assembly at Oshawa?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast