Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: issue after new power steering pump installed

Registered Member

Member #:4515

issue after new power steering pump installed

hi there - I have just upgraded from a generator to an alternator on my 57 - running a 350. As part of the process I had a new power steering pump installed and new lines to my original power steering installed. Nothing else was done. On driving home I noticed that when I took my hands off the wheel the car veered to right each time.

Is this something to do with pressure in the power steering box - I can't see that it is wheel alignment as nothing was touched and it was not doing this prior to the installation of the new pump. Appreciate any advice anyone has - many thanks Gerard

Member #:3217
    Isn't there an adjustment for the power steering to 'balance' the pressure??

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Yes there is an adjustment, but it's not on the pump, it's on the power steering valve that's on the end of the steering center link. That's where the power steering hoses connect also. Connecting new hoses shouldn't normally affect this, but you never know.

Suggest you consult the shop manual, or contact authenticautomotive.com, a business that sells original power steering parts and systems.

Registered Member

thanks for the advice - much appreciated

Member #:3217
    Gerry? Did you get your PS pressure balanced out?

Registered Member

hi there - not yet - hoping to sort later in the week. thanks for your advice - much appreciated as I am new at this