Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Turn signal cancel mechanism

Member #:1723

Turn signal cancel mechanism

Howdy,
    I have been steadily working on getting my 15" diameter steering wheel/horn setup to work properly. I have it all working, except for turn signal cancellation. I transferred the cancellation tab from my old wheel to the new one, thinking I was good to go, but cancellation doesn't work in either direction.

Is anyone versed on how this setup is supposed to work? I notice the two tabs are bent differently than each other (one is bent in more than the other). I also get a bit of noise in places as the wheel is turned, so maybe a tab is hitting somewhere. Should the two tabs be bent out the same, or is each one a custom? Any insights are appreciated.
    Thanks, Doug

Member #:3217
    Doug?

Have you got it figured out yet? I think most of us have encountered similar over the years.

I don't think the two directions should be different (re the tabs), but over the years owners or mechanics *modify* the wrong things trying to get them to work.

Do you have a service manual? The last time I had an issue with turn signals/horn/etc the service manual photos helped me...

Gary

Hi Gary,
    No, I was chasing my PS steering box issues, and then snow to clear yesterday and again today. Thanks for your tip on the service manual photos, and that the two tabs should likely be bent similarly.
    Thanks! Doug

Fixing the turn signal cancellation issue turned out to be way too easy. I had found in fixing the horn issues I had, that parts that are stated as being replacements can vary from each other (little bit different measurements can make a real difference). On a whim, I swapped in an old cancellation tab that was included with miscellaneous parts when I bought the car, and that was it! The prongs on the part that worked were bent similarly, not different from each other, like on the tab that didn't work properly. Now I need to shorten the steering column shaft a tad, as the area the rag joint clamps to on the replacement 500 box shaft is a little different from the one I had originally, and the distance between the turn signal housing and the steering wheel is now too great.