Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: 1956 Bel Air chasis replacement

Registered Member

Member #:4840

1956 Bel Air chasis replacement

anyone know of any good chassis replacements for a 1956 bel air? Other than a brand new Morrison frame?

Member #:115
    It depends on what you're looking for. Most all-new chassis like Morrison, Roadster Shop, etc. are very expensive, in the 15-20K+ range. There are a couple of fairly reasonably priced C4 Corvette suspension chassis on the market, either conversions of stock frames or new frames from the ground up. I stopped building my C4 chassis but they are still available from others. I think I was the least expensive on the market for years . The C4 suspensions give you good modern suspension geometry and steering and actually cut weight off the car with the all-aluminum components. The other nice thing about them is you can buy the frame, then supply your own suspensions which can be had fairly cheap. Also replacement parts are readily available. The main downside to the C4 is the width of the wheel mounting surfaces which requires positive offset wheels. It's not a problem, unless you really want the deep dish wheels that seem to be going out of style.

Check out R&R Frames, Corvette Correction, Progressive Automotive, and Street Rod Garage.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:530
    I have one of CNuts frames under my Nomad and yes, it was the cheapest $ option to get better handling (cheaper than a whole new aftermarket frame).
    So I agree with what he's said in his reply above.
    You might be able to find another local guy converting stock frames to use C4 suspension components, but make darned sure they are using a JIG to fabricate it all.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    I have one of CNuts frames under my Nomad
    Paul, I was wondering how you like the ride quality of your car. I have done some more work with coilover springs and have learned a lot. Never have gotten much feedback from any customers. Have you ever heard of guys discussing suspension natural frequency? I'll write more about this soon in another thread.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:4840
    Thank you guys for the replies and information. I will definitely take a look at those options. Thanks again