which exhaust system will fit

Good day to you all

Just wondering which exhaust system im going to get to fit my application
    I`m working on a 57 Nomad with a 400 SBC 700R4 trans
    i have moved the rear springs inboard to the frame
    and put a 22gal ricks tank where the spare tire well used to be located
    any help you guys have would be appreciated

Member #:3217
    Welcome Jrob... we'd love to hear more about you and your car? photos? etc.. which might help to answer some of your questions...

Sounds like you have a solid rear axle of some type? Headers or stock type manifolds?

There are basically two issues: 1) getting from your exhaust manifolds down to the chassis, and 2) clearing the rear axle. There are probably too many variable (how low is the car? which exhaust manifolds or headers? etc) to identify a specific off the shelf exhaust system IMO. Most updated cars have to get at least 'partial' custom exhaust. Identify all your parts and perhaps someone can provide a more exact response?

Registered Member

Member #:571
    With inboard springs and a 22 gallon tank, it's certainly going to require custom exhaust. There won't be an off the shelf solution to be sure.

With the inboard springs, there's really no way to run tailpipes all the way to the bumper without putting them under the tank. And that's going to be difficult at best. Tailpipe exit in front of the rear wheels is going to be easier but it's going to leave much to be desired IMO.

If you had mounted the springs "pocket kit" style and used a 16 gallon tank, designing and building an exhaust system would have been much easier. Still with some challenges because it's a wagon.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    My 55 has a mini tub and a centered 16 gallon tank with 2 1/2 tailpipes, its all custom made by a local muffler shop.

Member #:615
    I recently needed exhaust for a '56 Chevy convertible. I found 2" aluminized exhaust with turbo mufflers at Summit for $659.99 plus tax, plus truck freight shipping charges.

I then went to a local speed shop that does exhaust work. I got a 2.25" aluminized exhaust with turbo mufflers, new copper collector gaskets, new exhaust hangers, two chrome tips, plus tax, plus labor for $639.69. They did all the work while I sat back and watched.

It sounds like with the way your car is modified that custom exhaust installed by a muffler shop would be your best route to go.

Registered Member

Unless the car is stock underneath I would definatly go with a local custom system.

Member #:3249
    I've never considered doing my own installation of exhaust. I'd rather pay a pro, get a great custom system that's all tucked up nice and be done with it. It's easy to tell them what mufflers you want and they do it. I don't see much difference in price.

Registered Member

I hated exhaust work until I got a 9000k two post lift in my shop. I bought a dual system on EBay for Dads 66 Mustang for $199 on EBAY and installed it about 12 years ago . It was a cake walk and I would do it again. However, on a modified car I would not recomend it.

Member #:3292
    Pypes makes a 2 1/2" system for 55-57 with the springs moved in. BTDT.
    Injector inspector
    Walmart hottie stalker.
    USAF 60-64.
    The guys that brought you the Cuban missile crisis in living color!

Registered Member

What does BTDT mead?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast