Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brake master and caliper id

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Registered Member

Member #:4858

Brake master and caliper id

57 caliper2.jpg57caliper.jpg57 caliper2.jpg

I am trying to identify the calipers that I have on my front disks. One of the bleeders broke off and I need to get a new one. I also think I need a new master cylinder. It is for disk front and drum rear. 57 master.jpg
    I hope I have attached a picture of the booster as well. We will see if the pictures attach.

Thank you

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I "think" what you have is a metric caliper (D154), but it's easy for me to make a mistake in id'ing that from many photos. It would have a 2-3/8" bore. To verify measure the distance between the anchor bolts, should measure 5.5". If it measures 7" between the anchors, it's a Chevelle style D52 caliper with 2-15/16" bore.

Most power disc brake setups use a 1-1/8" bore master cylinder. That seems to be what you have.

Registered Member

So do I ask for or look up a D154 or D52? Do I need to know the year and make of vehicle it came from?

Registered Member

I looked at some Master cylinders for 68 corvette. They looked to be for 4 wheel disk. I have drum on the rear. Any suggestions on the master I need to use?

Member #:516
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    I "think" what you have is a metric caliper (D154), but it's easy for me to make a mistake in id'ing that from many photos. It would have a 2-3/8" bore. To verify measure the distance between the anchor bolts, should measure 5.5". If it measures 7" between the anchors, it's a Chevelle style D52 caliper with 2-15/16" bore.

Most power disc brake setups use a 1-1/8" bore master cylinder. That seems to be what you have.
    Hey All,

I've been wondering about this caliper stuff, my calipers are 5.5 inches between the mounting bolts so I'm guessing metric? what cars/trucks would use these ones. I was thinking '70ish Chevelle but now that I know it's 7 inches between bolt I'm guessing not. They both have M10 threads for the hose connection, but one has M10 threads for the bleeder and the other has either M8 or 5/16 threads I have to run a tap in it to figure it out. I don't want this so I'll have to use two wrenches to bleed it!!! Thanks for the info in this thread!!!

Registered Member

Member #:625
    What is the bolt spacing on calipers guessing metric stuff from a S10 or G body.
    Last edited by markm; 02-22-2022 at 04:23 PM.

Registered Member

68 Corvette master

Registered Member

I use a 68 Vette master on my 55 with rear drums, and a 68 Camaro on my 56 same setup disk/drum.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Looks to me like that master cylinder has a large front reservoir/small rear reservoir. Big/little is not Corvette style, it's Chevelle style.

Get the caliper anchor spacing posted up and then we can discuss what car to ask for.

Registered Member

It is the 5.5 metric D154. I am thinking of getting the brackets to go with the Chevelle D52 caliper. If I am correct the larger piston will give me more braking power and the pad area will be larger.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast